Galvanized Water Can...HELP!

Interesting. I have one that I bought from the local feed store and have never had a moment's problem with it. I carry it by the handle but set it on blocks and have never hung it. Now I'm curious and will have to look to see if it is the same brand as TSC's. Only thing I don't like is that I can't put ACV in it.

Well for the last four days i have been refilling the galvanized can and not locking the outer jacket, just sliding it on. It fills like it should, w/o overflowing. As the birds drink from it, it refills itself no problems. So far i believe I have solved the problem.

Packmomma- Is your spring plig in place? It shouldn't leak water as it is filled unless the brass spring arm w/ rubber gasket is missing.

Cutlass- So how does the galvanized one you replaced your defective plastic one with work for you?

ddawn-Well? What brand is it?

mine works okay, but not great. Like I said before it will form a vacuum and stop overflowing, but only after overflowing about a gallon of water first. All in all, I feel it is a poor execution of a decent design. I think the company has poor quality control.

I am designing a rain barrel / water trough system to replace it with.

by the way, does anybody have the web site listed on the paperwork that came with these waterers? I have lost mine at this point, and I want to send them a link to this thread to see if they will bother to address the issue.

I took mine back to TSC this afternoon and explained the problem with it to the manager. I told him that whenever I fill it up and put the lid on it, it keeps on draining until there is nothing left in the can. He never hesitated, just took it from me and told me to get another one, whatever I wanted in place of it. I didn't want to fight with another just like it, so instead got one of the plastic 3 1/2 gallon waterers and they refunded the difference WITHOUT THE RECEIPT! Yes, you heard me, without the receipt. I am in the TSC quite a bit and have always had good luck with them and their products, but every now and then, there is a lemon in among the good things.

I recommend switching to a galvanized trough or rectangular bucket with a cheap float valve and a water hose. I switched to them a year ago and never have problems anymore. I got small enough ones they are easy to dump out every day for cleanliness.

Quote:
HEH, my galvanized waterer was what I got when I returned one of the 3.5 gallon waterers with the screw on lids. My plastic one worked for one filling then slowly drained completely empty when refilled.

The only problem that I have had with the plastic waterers draining is when they are not sitting level and the opening for the water is in the downhill position. If they are level, there usually isn't any problem.

Back
Top Bottom