Game Bantam hen prolapsed and in pain.... it looks really bad.

LostGosling

Songster
9 Years
Jul 11, 2011
I don't know what else to do. I've looked at half a dozen different articles on prolapse, and it won't go back in, it's angry looking and red, bruised and was slightly weeping earlier, and she keeps straining and crying out. This has been going on for nearly 3 days, but today is the worst she's been. I had a hen get this before, and it fixed itself, so I thought Kazooie would be the same and dismissed it, thinking it'd go back in over night. I was wrong.

I tried to clean it off and put Preparation H on it today, and gently guide it back to where it belongs, and she just squeaks and pushes and bobs her tail after a minute and pushes it out, like she's straining on an egg. I really hope she doesn't have an egg, she'd started laying a week before this because the weather had gotten nice, and she was 5 eggs into a nest when she prolapsed. I have her in a box in my room, covered with my barn coat to stay warm and in the dark, but she's losing weight and strength, and she's in pain and I don't know what to do. x_x She's been through so much, she just turned 6 yrs this month, and I spent half the winter terrified her respiratory would come back again and kill her (she got it twice in a month). Now this has happened. Can anybody help me, she's a pet and I really don't want to lose her. </3

[Update1: She's oozing white poo and the prolapse itself looks like a lump of poo?

[Update2: She's drinking, and I've been offering greens that she sorta picks at. She's still straining about every 10 to 15 minutes, the time between strains is getting further apart. She's making no effort to escape the box and coat... If anybody thinks they could give me better advice if I posted an image let me know, I could have one up fairly quick.

Last edited:
With prolapsed vents the longer they are out, the more drying out and swelling takes place, and the harder they are to go back in. You have to keep lubing and pushing it back. Place a cover over a cage 16 hours a day to stop laying for her to heal. You can also decrease her feed ration, but give plenty of water. Honey and PreparationH are used to decrease swelling. Epsom salt soaks are used to soothe the vent area, and try to keep it as clean as possible. This is almost a full time job for a few days, so many hens are put down for this. Sorry that you are dealing with this.

Thank-you so much for your response, her prolapse receded and she's now raising 5 chicks that are even her own babies. <3 Your information might just have helped me save her.
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom