Gamefowl Barrels

It would become imperative to never ever fail to close the doors and OPEN them back up.....then there is ventilation and how to cover that.

Barrels become extremely hot in a very very short amount of time in the sun so being able to get out of them is literally life or death.

I think I am voting on more electric fencing.
I'm still pretty young lol, My parents are the ones wanting to use it for the garden but I could try saving up for another one, Tho I still would like to predator proof the barrels incase something ever got into the fence, Gamefowl are expensive and rare!, I don't mind opening them in the morning and closing them in at night

Right on, not cockfighting :thumbsup

For plastic barrels I'd try making doors out of welded wire fencing, such as the 2"x4" hole size. Cut out a section that's a little bit wider than the opening, and cut one end off leaving protruding tines/pigtails that you can pass through the barrel and bend into "hinges" -- drill at least a hole at top/bottom, about 1/2" in from the edge, pass the wire through and bend it into a loop to secure it.

For a clasp on the other end, maybe install an anchor point in the barrel, such as an eye bolt or some other hardware, then simply use a carabiner between the fencing and the eye bolt for latching it shut.

Alternatively, if you have a roll of plumber's hanger tape and some bolts/nuts, you could make a small loop of the plumber's tape and bolt it to the barrel - that simple piece of hardware could be used for hinges or the clasping end.

Good luck
I'm having a hard time envisioning what the opening looks like on the barrels. So, pictures would help.

I find hardware cloth wrapped cattle panel (or hog panel for something smaller) is very effective. They can be hung with pipe hanger or plumbers hanger tape. And the technique is very size flexible.
IMG_20221023_162932_418.jpg

IMG_20221010_101552_372.jpg

IMG_20210713_181751_268.jpg

The latching on these is pretty simple, too:
IMG_20210622_105441_617.jpg

These are based on what saw @res do:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/hoop-coop-brooder-with-roll-up-sides.75720/

If the barrel is too rounded for this approach, you might be able to frame it out with wood first.

Back
Top Bottom