Gamefowl Barrels

Right on, not cockfighting :thumbsup

For plastic barrels I'd try making doors out of welded wire fencing, such as the 2"x4" hole size. Cut out a section that's a little bit wider than the opening, and cut one end off leaving protruding tines/pigtails that you can pass through the barrel and bend into "hinges" -- drill at least a hole at top/bottom, about 1/2" in from the edge, pass the wire through and bend it into a loop to secure it.

For a clasp on the other end, maybe install an anchor point in the barrel, such as an eye bolt or some other hardware, then simply use a carabiner between the fencing and the eye bolt for latching it shut.

Alternatively, if you have a roll of plumber's hanger tape and some bolts/nuts, you could make a small loop of the plumber's tape and bolt it to the barrel - that simple piece of hardware could be used for hinges or the clasping end.

Good luck

I keep most of my Roosters on tiecord with they're own barrels to sleep in, I keep an electric fence around them to keep predators away but I was wondering about possibly putting a better predator proof door on the barrels?, Is there a way to do that?, Because we were thinking about taking that electric fence down and putting it around our garden next year if we can predator proof them
If you put doors on the barrels, you would have to close each door in the evening, and open each door in the morning. (The total number of roosters & barrels will make a big difference in how much of your time this takes.)

The roosters would still be vulnerable to predators during the day (probably less danger in the day than at night, but that depends on what predators are in your area and when they like to hunt.)

A predator might just knock a barrel over to get the rooster inside (depending on whether the barrel has any kind of floor, and whether it is fastened in place somehow.)

I am not sure any of these is sufficient reason to change your plans, just mentioning them so you can consider whether they matter (if you didn't already think of them.)

For plastic barrels I'd try making doors out of welded wire fencing, such as the 2"x4" hole size. Cut out a section that's a little bit wider than the opening, and cut one end off leaving protruding tines/pigtails that you can pass through the barrel and bend into "hinges" -- drill at least a hole at top/bottom, about 1/2" in from the edge, pass the wire through and bend it into a loop to secure it.

For a clasp on the other end, maybe install an anchor point in the barrel, such as an eye bolt or some other hardware, then simply use a carabiner between the fencing and the eye bolt for latching it shut.

Alternatively, if you have a roll of plumber's hanger tape and some bolts/nuts, you could make a small loop of the plumber's tape and bolt it to the barrel - that simple piece of hardware could be used for hinges or the clasping end.
That is an interesting idea, and sounds like it might work, but I am not sure about the size holes in the wire. Some predators (like raccoons) might reach right through that wire and kill the chicken anyway. Some other predators (like most dogs) would be stopped by the wire, and it would be fine. So it will depend on what predators are in the area.

If you put doors on the barrels, you would have to close each door in the evening, and open each door in the morning. (The total number of roosters & barrels will make a big difference in how much of your time this takes.)

The roosters would still be vulnerable to predators during the day (probably less danger in the day than at night, but that depends on what predators are in your area and when they like to hunt.)

A predator might just knock a barrel over to get the rooster inside (depending on whether the barrel has any kind of floor, and whether it is fastened in place somehow.)

I am not sure any of these is sufficient reason to change your plans, just mentioning them so you can consider whether they matter (if you didn't already think of them.)

That is an interesting idea, and sounds like it might work, but I am not sure about the size holes in the wire. Some predators (like raccoons) might reach right through that wire and kill the chicken anyway. Some other predators (like most dogs) would be stopped by the wire, and it would be fine. So it will depend on what predators are in the area.
My main predators are Raccoons, And my barrels aren't cut at all, They are full and have a floor to them

I am wondering the same thing about knock overs.

My thoughts involve making a wood frame from 2x2's sandwiching the plastic between but even with the cut edges and 2x6 secured to the 2x2's around the inside of the frame. That would likely accommodate the arch in the barrels.
Then the pop doors mounted on the outside of the 2x6's.

Getting more electric fencing may be more cost effective and far easier though.

I keep most of my Roosters on tiecord with they're own barrels to sleep in, I keep an electric fence around them to keep predators away but I was wondering about possibly putting a better predator proof door on the barrels?, Is there a way to do that?, Because we were thinking about taking that electric fence down and putting it around our garden next year if we can predator proof them

Thank you for saying this lol, People always think I'm fighting Roosters when I'm not, I keep the breeds because they are a dying breed, Especially breeds like Morgan Whitehackles and other old American Game bloodlines
2 things
I would not remove the electric fence. Screw a garden, run more wire if need be.

Number 2
Don't sweat the morons that say cockfighting. Thier ignorance is showing.

I'll add a third. Keep raising them to the best of your ability. Thier declining and need preservation because of people I spoke of in Number 2

214697.jpg

The welded wire is more for the strength, for the predators I'd simply add a layer of hardware cloth over it. With the bolted on plumber tape as hinges, I'd imagine everything would stay in place if the barrel got knocked over and rolled a bit, the welds are pretty strong on welded wire fencing. Could be other materials too - I've got a bunch of these 14"x14" welded wire "panels" from an old "wire cube storage organizer" thing that all the plastic connectors broke or went missing; those would probably be perfect for doors on these.

It would become imperative to never ever fail to close the doors and OPEN them back up.....then there is ventilation and how to cover that.

Barrels become extremely hot in a very very short amount of time in the sun so being able to get out of them is literally life or death.

I think I am voting on more electric fencing.

Assuming the door will be hardware cloth, the problem seems to be what to use for a frame and how to attach the frame.

Actually, you might consider metal lath instead of hardware cloth. The holes are just as small, it is very much stronger (stronger than a combination of hardware cloth and garden fencing too), and sharp. I used it to cover the open side an the windows of my coop. It works very well.

A couple of possibilities to think about:

Barrels come with lids. Cut most of the plastic from inside the frame of the lid, possibly leaving some to make "bars" across it for strength if you use hardware cloth instead of metal lath. Attach the lathe to the lid - with bolts, maybe. I'll try to get a good picture of mine tomorrow. Some of my barrels had clamps to secure the lids that worked easily enough to want to take them on and off every day but most have been too tight. Sometimes they are adjustable. Or the plastic of the barrel and/or lid can be filed or sanded enough to make the clamp easy enough. Or it might work to use a piece of stainless steel cable or a chain to take the place of the clamp.

Another possibility tis to build a square frame out of 2x4's that fits over the neck of the barrel. Hold it onto the barrel by running a cable around the bottom (back, since the barrel is on its side). Build a conventional door to fit that frame. Conventional except for the size.

Another possibility is to anchor the barrel - post behind and either side of the barrel. Then sink a post at one side of the front of the barrel to hang a gate from.

Another possibility is the same as immediately above except build a frame for the barrel instead of sinking posts. This takes more material but you could relocate it easier.

2 things
I would not remove the electric fence. Screw a garden, run more wire if need be.

Number 2
Don't sweat the morons that say cockfighting. Thier ignorance is showing.

I'll add a third. Keep raising them to the best of your ability. Thier declining and need preservation because of people I spoke of in Number 2

View attachment 3666793
Well my parents want to use it for the garden next year, I thought about saving up and buying another electric fence but I was more curious if there was a way to predator proof them if I ever needed to

Back
Top Bottom