Gamefowl Rooster

Jaimes09

Songster
Sep 6, 2021
I was wondering can Gamefowl roosters go bad? I got a rooster from a friend which was said to be good other than its chipped beak. I brought him home and had to keep my other roosters pinned as he would cause a fight.
I have had him for 3 months now and just a week ago he got into a pin fight while I was gone, one of my stags which is a cross ended up maturing or getting the bravery to fight the older roosters and ran into the gamefowl pinned. Well, wouldn't you know it I came home and they were both laying down bloody, I'm guessing stag gave up and left as he was on the neighbor's side?
Got both of them up and cleaned them as much as I could but I have noticed while pinned he doesn't challenge the roosters anymore as he would. Instead, he jumps away from them if they run up on him. I let him out this morning to see what he would do and he started running from the other guys.
So should I say he is no good anymore for reproduction? for the gameness or what happened? Should I expect him to turn aggressive later on or is it a lost cause now? I am fairly new to gamefowl but have never heard of this type of stuff.

Got both of them up and cleaned them as much as I could but I have noticed while pinned he doesn't challenge the roosters anymore as he would. Instead, he jumps away from them if they run up on him. I let him out this morning to see what he would do and he started running from the other guys.
So should I say he is no good anymore for reproduction? for the gameness or what happened? Should I expect him to turn aggressive later on or is it a lost cause now? I am fairly new to gamefowl but have never heard of this type of stuff.
Photos?!

I'm a bit confused.

Which one is "running"? The stag (how old is he?) or the rooster?

How long ago did this happen?

The stag is a cross? Cross of what?

Are you saying you let him loose and he avoided the other penned roosters? Or did you have a rooster loose too?

If he's a pretty young, got his bell rung good and feet tore up, then he might avoid confrontation for a while during healing. Hard to know.

Photos?!

I'm a bit confused.

Which one is "running"? The stag (how old is he?) or the rooster?

How long ago did this happen?

The stag is a cross? Cross of what?

Are you saying you let him loose and he avoided the other penned roosters? Or did you have a rooster loose too?

If he's a pretty young, got his bell rung good and feet tore up, then he might avoid confrontation for a while during healing. Hard to know.
Sorry i was typing pretty fast but the rooster that is full gamefowl is running. Around a year old. The stag is a cross between an asil and bantam. So he’s not full game. All the roosters i got are normal chickens. But most of my hens are gamefowl. Most of my roosters would just ignore him other than when i let him loose. The gamefowl would chase them and fight. Now i noticed the Gamefowl is the one running away with it’s tail down.

the gamefowl rooster has been in a pen fight with past owner so don’t want to get him messed up even worse
In July, you wrote this on another thread where you said you had 4 roosters.

How bad of shape was the GF Rooster in when you got him? Sounds like he was already in a bit of a mess.

Please post photos of what he looks like now, include a couple of body shots, his feet/bottom of feet and both sides of his face.

How long ago was the recent pen fight? He only encountered the one stag or were the others involved in fighting at his pen?

Not sure what's going on, but you need to pen the GF rooster where he can't be antagonized by any roosters whatsoever.
Make sure he's eating well and drinking o.k.

I'm not sure why are wanting him to have an exchange with other roosters, is it to check "gameness" or what? Most of us that keep GF work extremely hard and spend $$ trying to avoid encounters in the first place. Accidents happen of course, I've had my share, but when it happens, you end up with birds with broken beaks, wrecked toes/feet, broken or fractured toes and injuries that takes months to recover from.

Sorry i was typing pretty fast but the rooster that is full gamefowl is running. Around a year old. The stag is a cross between an asil and bantam. So he’s not full game. All the roosters i got are normal chickens. But most of my hens are gamefowl. Most of my roosters would just ignore him other than when i let him loose. The gamefowl would chase them and fight. Now i noticed the Gamefowl is the one running away with it’s tail down.

Are you asking can a gamefowl with at least a fair amount of legitimate game drive learn to submit to another rooster if it survives a nasty fight? If so, the answer is yes per the former cockers I’ve asked. Cockers usually use the terminology of a rooster being “ruined” due to environmental or other matters of “nurture” that deaden a rooster’s natural game drive. Including surviving a fight without initially running.

My birds will do that if they survive a bad fight, but the gaminess of my own line has never been tested apart from unstaged, natural, barnyard fights. They will fight to the death when sufficiently mature, but young ones will submit if whipped.

In July, you wrote this on another thread where you said you had 4 roosters.

How bad of shape was the GF Rooster in when you got him? Sounds like he was already in a bit of a mess.

Please post photos of what he looks like now, include a couple of body shots, his feet/bottom of feet and both sides of his face.

How long ago was the recent pen fight? He only encountered the one stag or were the others involved in fighting at his pen?

Not sure what's going on, but you need to pen the GF rooster where he can't be antagonized by any roosters whatsoever.
Make sure he's eating well and drinking o.k.

I'm not sure why are wanting him to have an exchange with other roosters, is it to check "gameness" or what? Most of us that keep GF work extremely hard and spend $$ trying to avoid encounters in the first place. Accidents happen of course, I've had my share, but when it happens, you end up with birds with broken beaks, wrecked toes/feet, broken or fractured toes and injuries that takes months to recover from.
Sorry im not home yet since this post but will send some when i get there. But no when i got him only his beak was chipped with a missing toenail. But the pin fight that caused that was a long time ago so he had been in great shape already. When i got him i pinned him but had some encounters where he would challenge another layer rooster through cage but fortunately I was there all those times.
This one pin fight was a week ago though and yes only the stag was involved. I let him loose today for a bit though to see if it was just him not wanting to have an encounter between the cage or if it was him not wanting an encounter with a chicken overall. So i put him back up after 5 minutes.

Back
Top Bottom