Suddenly aggressive bantam

Missiek90

Hatching
Dec 12, 2023
So I looked through posts and didn’t see an exact answer but I have 3 welsummer bantams, one rooster and two hens that are all about 10 months old. The one hen has always been kind of mean(she bites us and starts fights with the other hen but she’s way bigger then her so I think that’s why) but the rooster (Charlie) has always been a sweet heart. In the past month he went from super sweet to attacking me and my kids whenever we go near the run. We had a fairly small run for a while(about 15sq ft) which we just upgraded two weeks ago to a 130sq ft run. We thought he was being mean because he didn’t have enough space. I don’t know if it’s just puberty but every time anyone goes near the run he jumps at the fence. Now I’m the only one who will even go in( my husband will but last week they got into a fight and I had to separate them lol) I know that I should assert dominance by pinning him or picking him up but whenever I try, the mean hen (big momma) attacks me. Just wondering if she’s the problem or if it’s him. We’ve had them since they were 6weeks old so I don’t know why they would just turn on us.

Bad genetics.
It really should have been a red flag that the people I bought them from had the dad penned separately but I researched the breed a bunch. It said that they were docile and if anything just skittish because they’re small. Although the rooster isn’t really as small as he should be considering he weighs almost 10lbs. I have an xl dog kennel I could separate him into for awhile but will that make him more aggressive?

Once they become aggressive, they really do not go back to how they were before. It is a combination of genetics and hormones. Like getting a red wattle, there really is nothing you can do about it. He is NOT the bird he was a while ago, and there is no going back.

I don't think that it was anything you or your family did that causes this, it is the luck of the draw, but the reverse is true too, I don't think there is anything you can do at this point that will change it back.

Some people will live with a violent animal, but I would not. A rooster like this has ruined the whole chicken experience for a lot of people.

Mrs K

Once they become aggressive, they really do not go back to how they were before. It is a combination of genetics and hormones. Like getting a red wattle, there really is nothing you can do about it. He is NOT the bird he was a while ago, and there is no going back.

I don't think that it was anything you or your family did that causes this, it is the luck of the draw, but the reverse is true too, I don't think there is anything you can do at this point that will change it back.

Some people will live with a violent animal, but I would not. A rooster like this has ruined the whole chicken experience for a lot of people.

Mrs K
Would putting him in a smaller separate pen make him go crazy? We also just hatched 3 of their eggs and one I think is a male so when they’re old enough to be introduced I don’t know if he will kill the other ones. I honestly don’t know if chickens even do that. This is our first time having bantams and also the first time we’ve kept a rooster. I actually was terrified of birds for a long time because I got attacked by my aunts leghorn when I was kid, which my uncle promptly killed and made me hold it so I wouldn’t be afraid anymore…yeah didn’t work and I also didn’t eat chicken again for 5 years after I was eating soup and my aunt said “that damn bird don’t seem so scary now huh?” Which at the time was traumatizing but now looking back is kind of funny

It really should have been a red flag that the people I bought them from had the dad penned separately but I researched the breed a bunch. It said that they were docile and if anything just skittish because they’re small. Although the rooster isn’t really as small as he should be considering he weighs almost 10lbs. I have an xl dog kennel I could separate him into for awhile but will that make him more aggressive?
I'd recommend culling.

Everyone makes their own decisions on these deals. I would not keep him caged in a small situation by himself, just so that I could keep him. I like to enjoy my chickens, and I do not enjoy strife. But that is your decision, when does keeping him, ruin your joy and his, but alive, verses not keeping him.

He might go crazy and he might not.

Back
Top Bottom