GAMES FOR EGGS and other fun prizes

IMO double boxed is the way to go! I'm not a fan of putting eggs IN the egg cartons. IMO that adds more pressure to the eggs when the seller forces that carton closed. I received a box once that was positively bulging they crammed so much shredded paper in it. In the middle was the egg carton, forced closed, with eggs bubble wrapped inside. Half the eggs were crushed. Ironically I got a 100% hatch from the surviving eggs.

I've seen lots of methods of packing. IMO you got to pack so that the eggs cannot shift around inside the box. I compare that box to a car about to hit a brick wall. I make sure all my little eggies are wearing their seat belts!
gig.gif

IMO double boxed is the way to go! I'm not a fan of putting eggs IN the egg cartons. IMO that adds more pressure to the eggs when the seller forces that carton closed. I received a box once that was positively bulging they crammed so much shredded paper in it. In the middle was the egg carton, forced closed, with eggs bubble wrapped inside. Half the eggs were crushed. Ironically I got a 100% hatch from the surviving eggs.

I've seen lots of methods of packing. IMO you got to pack so that the eggs cannot shift around inside the box. I compare that box to a car about to hit a brick wall. I make sure all my little eggies are wearing their seat belts!
gig.gif
You'll have to share some pictures of your packing methods.

What are your thoughts on ventilation during transit? I'm afraid that completely individually wrapped eggs could sweat with the temp changes, through their travels. (and enclosed in a carton would also cause it, in my mind) I roll the egg in bubble wrap, but leave the top and bottom open. That's the way the best ones I have received came to me, so that's what I have done. I've received them in pine shavings, and shredded paper, but once, the pine shavings were soaked, so those scare me. I double box, and use memory foam as padding around the inside and outside of the inner box.

I individually bubble wrap each egg, burrito style, so each egg is totally enclosed. I pack up to 20 eggs in the small 7x7x5 USPS priority box, adding as much additional bubble wrap as needed so there is absolutely no room for those eggs to shift around inside the box. This box goes inside a larger 12x12x8 USPS priority box that is lined with egg cartons - currently an egg flat on the bottom, closed egg cartons on opposite sides, and half an egg carton on the other two opposite sides. The egg cartons keep the inner box perfectly centered and act as a cushion absorbing the energy and abuse and damage of shipping. I sometimes substitute air pillows for the half cartons to reduce weight.

"Sweating" should not be a problem if eggs are at room temperature when wrapped. Once eggs are packed, they are very well insulated. And they still wouldn't sweat because they're not exposed to humid air during the temperature change. IMO I don't think an egg will expire enough moisture through the eggshell during transit to cause "sweating". I have in the past rolled each egg in a paper towel strip cut to fit, but that was more for absorption in case of breakage than sweating. I have received no indication that adding the paper towels had an effect on the eggs either good or bad.

I individually bubble wrap each egg, burrito style, so each egg is totally enclosed. I pack up to 20 eggs in the small 7x7x5 USPS priority box, adding as much additional bubble wrap as needed so there is absolutely no room for those eggs to shift around inside the box. This box goes inside a larger 12x12x8 USPS priority box that is lined with egg cartons - currently an egg flat on the bottom, closed egg cartons on opposite sides, and half an egg carton on the other two opposite sides. The egg cartons keep the inner box perfectly centered and act as a cushion absorbing the energy and abuse and damage of shipping. I sometimes substitute air pillows for the half cartons to reduce weight.

"Sweating" should not be a problem if eggs are at room temperature when wrapped. Once eggs are packed, they are very well insulated. And they still wouldn't sweat because they're not exposed to humid air during the temperature change. IMO I don't think an egg will expire enough moisture through the eggshell during transit to cause "sweating". I have in the past rolled each egg in a paper towel strip cut to fit, but that was more for absorption in case of breakage than sweating. I have received no indication that adding the paper towels had an effect on the eggs either good or bad.

Awesome. Appreciate your insight. You ship a lot more than I do, and I've always seen good comments on your packing, so thank you!

I ship similar to CJ.

I individually wrap each egg in bubble wrap burrito style but I tape the ends over so the egg is completely enclosed. I put them into the 7x7x5 priority box and add shredded paper or bubble wrap to hold them tight. If there are very few eggs shipping, I will wrap a piece of scotch tape to hold the eggs together in packs of 4 for stability while being jostled around in shipping.

I put that box into a larger box, either 12x12x8 or the regional rate c boxes(no longer available but I have about 40 of them from last year left over). The regional rate c boxes are 15x12x12 if I remember correctly. I secure the small box inside the bigger box by packing with shavings. This insulted the eggs in extreme heat and cold and they will settle in enough to hold the inner box tightly. I also have used egg carton to help hold the small box tightly if the shavings don't seem to be cutting it.

Last edited:
Only got one duckling from @RavynFallen eggs. 6 were fertile; 3 made it to lockdown and 1 just died, and 1 hit a vein. But I am very greatful for the one that I got! Thanks ravyn!
and where is the picture of said duckling??
pop.gif

I've only shipped live birds once. Two 8-month old $5 bantam cockerels. The guy paid $75 by the time it was over, but hey, he wanted my boys. They made it from WV to Indiana in less than 24 hours. Perfect condition. So luckily I had a good experience. I bought 2 shipping boxes, but I don't care if I ever do it again.

The neatest part of my story was the elementary school class that was visiting the post office when I dropped off the birds. They were crowing inside the box and the kids got many giggles out of that.
big_smile.png
awesome!!

She's refusing to refund my box and told me to take it up with the post office???
i think the original shipper has to do the claim, because they paid for the box to be shipped
but i dont remember

I'm so happy you got them buddy-you deserve some good luck! yeah they are sweet!!!! @cjwaldon has great birds. I think only 4/8 of mine hatched due to my humidity issues. using my junk bator and manual humidity and hatched 3/6 of stans last eggs with 1 more pipped!!!
wee.gif
fl.gif

I gotta call it a night folks-meds are kicking in. up at 6 for dr apt at 9-wish me luck!!!!! good night friends
hugs.gif
i hope you get answers!!!! GOOD LUCK!!!!!
fl.gif
hugs.gif

This will be extremely helpful, if I ever want to ship eggs to someone on here ;)

Back
Top Bottom