Gander with rather strange behavior.

Maybe both were dumped at the same time, my ganders are much more social than my females so maybe what you saw was the same, gander interested in having interaction with someone who reminds him of home and the female being more reserved. I could cry I just don't understand how someone can do this. Thank you for caring.

That is how I got my Oliver.
I happened one day to decide to go see my,parents on my lunch hour.
I drove by a field of approx 10 acres that would get passing Canada geese.
You couldn't miss that blob of white in the midst of them.
I kept telling myself not to even look on the way back to work but of course I did.
After work a called a neighbor, took a bag of corn and went back.
Who got out of the van, walked onto the field, shook the bag and he came running.
It took us about 5 minutes to get a hold of him. He couldn't fly. He has been here since 2003.
It was the beginning of June. The field is one piece of property belonging to a business. That business is land locked with four lane highways on all four sides with some adjoining businesses.
I have always believed that as someone said it seemed like a good idea at Easter time but then grew up. Whoever dumped him probably saw the Canadian geese and figured goose....goose.
Good place for him but it wasn't. When the Canadians left Oliver would have been alone.

Linda

That is how I got my Oliver.
I happened one day to decide to go see my,parents on my lunch hour.
I drove by a field of approx 10 acres that would get passing Canada geese.
You couldn't miss that blob of white in the midst of them.
I kept telling myself not to even look on the way back to work but of course I did.
After work a called a neighbor, took a bag of corn and went back.
Who got out of the van, walked onto the field, shook the bag and he came running.
It took us about 5 minutes to get a hold of him. He couldn't fly. He has been here since 2003.
It was the beginning of June. The field is one piece of property belonging to a business. That business is land locked with four lane highways on all four sides with some adjoining businesses.
I have always believed that as someone said it seemed like a good idea at Easter time but then grew up. Whoever dumped him probably saw the Canadian geese and figured goose....goose.
Good place for him but it wasn't. When the Canadians left Oliver would have been alone.

Linda
And I don't think you came by on coincidence either,That gander needed a safe home and there you were. Wonderful story.

I don't either Miss Lydia.
I have two other goose stories that are similar...stranger both but very similar. I t think things happen for a reason. Oliver was the least curious. I definitely think there is a Divine leading.
I have a friend that I talk to and as he has told me "those things never happen to me".

Linda

Maybe both were dumped at the same time, my ganders are much more social than my females so maybe what you saw was the same, gander interested in having interaction with someone who reminds him of home and the female being more reserved. I could cry I just don't understand how someone can do this. Thank you for caring.
This would be better (not good, but better), if the gander was reminded of "mom" by Yvonne, but still had a friend and knew it was a goose, I would feel much better about its life. We lost two ducklings because we weren't quite prepared so we won't take on geese before we have done our homework and have a good situation that is both save for them and safe for our ducks. We will keep visiting though and now try to take notice of this particular gander.

This would be better (not good, but better), if the gander was reminded of "mom" by Yvonne, but still had a friend and knew it was a goose, I would feel much better about its life. We lost two ducklings because we weren't quite prepared so we won't take on geese before we have done our homework and have a good situation that is both save for them and safe for our ducks. We will keep visiting though and now try to take notice of this particular gander.

How do they get behind the fence? is there a gate? Gosh too bad there aren't rescue groups around ya'll that would get the domestics and care for them and find them good caring homes. Here in NC there is such a group called Carolina Water fowl and they do domestic and wild rescues If they weren't 2 hrs away I'd volunteer there.

I don't either Miss Lydia.
I have two other goose stories that are similar...stranger both but very similar. I t think things happen for a reason. Oliver was the least curious. I definitely think there is a Divine leading.
I have a friend that I talk to and as he has told me "those things never happen to me".

Linda
Now you need to share the others, I need a happy story or stories. Makes me sad to hear about dumped animals, and Easter right around the corner makes me what to go and protest at TSC lol

How do they get behind the fence? is there a gate? Gosh too bad there aren't rescue groups around ya'll that would get the domestics and care for them and find them good caring homes. Here in NC there is such a group called Carolina Water fowl and they do domestic and wild rescues If they weren't 2 hrs away I'd volunteer there.

This is actually a "sanctuary" that is funded from some kind of memorial fund. The fence completely encloses the pond and woods area, but is open out to the lower smaller pond where there are some viewing benches and shelters. I think they maintain the woods/pond (pick up the litter), but think they leave the ducks to do their own foraging and don't do anything special for the dumped domestics. I have only seen the ducks go to the lower pond, never any geese and the ducks have a comfort zone of about 60 ft (maybe 30 if you are throwing food at them - I have had an individual duck come within 10ft, but not a group of them). I imagine that the dumps happen in the lower pond, and the birds work their way up to the upper area which is better for them.
Now you need to share the others, I need a happy story or stories. Makes me sad to hear about dumped animals, and Easter right around the corner makes me what to go and protest at TSC lol
X2 Unfortunately, Easter is the time many are renewing their flocks so it is a legitimate time also. Metzer used to raise the price on their ducklings on either side of Easter with a notice that this was to dissuade Easter purchases. I thought this was nice, you could wait a week for replenishing your flock in most instances. They aren't doing that this year, but they also probably aren't a big part of the problem since it is very expensive to mail 2 ducklings (I doubt most people buying Easter ducks purchase 10) and internet/mail order isn't as impulsive as cute little ducklings / goslings at the feed stores. Heck, I know we will go there next month and look at all the 'lings and want to take them home when we have a whole yard full. (We will NOT! - maybe goslings next year or the year after. When we are fully set up for them.)

Maybe we can just train the sales staff at the feed stores: "Thank you for your purchase. Please enjoy your cute fluffy waterfowl. If I find it swimming in the pond I will hunt you down and give you something for your eye."
lau.gif

Gentila,
You made me laugh with this!

Maybe we can just train the sales staff at the feed stores: "Thank you for your purchase. Please enjoy your cute fluffy waterfowl. If I find it swimming in the pond I will hunt you down and give you something for your eye."

I went and visited your documentary on your ducklings. Wonderful photos and story.
Linda

Gentila,
You made me laugh with this!

I went and visited your documentary on your ducklings. Wonderful photos and story.
Linda
Would that be my intro page or my book? Either way, glad you liked it.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom