Gander with rather strange behavior.

There is one place that might be useful a little over 100 miles out. Most of the places are dog or dog and cat. I would try to find a local farm first. But my first step is finding out who to talk to so that I am not the person charged with abuse for trying to steal the geese (obviously he has to stay with his friend). Hopefully I get something back from "Foundation for Animals" so I can talk to whoever their current "guardian" is.

Story was awesome! Thanks!
fl.gif
me too.
Oh forgot to say thank you about my avatar. That's my boy Opie we raised him inside when his mama thought he was from outer space and didn't want him, so he comes inside every morning to say hello.
smile.png

Last edited:
@Miss Lydia Update: I got a call back today from "Foundation for Animals" I knew this was not in their purview but as I had hoped, they new who I needed (hopefully) to talk to. They put me in touch with the person who is charged to take care of the geese and ducks at the pond. She has been doing that for 24 years. She knew immediately the pair I was referring to as Scabby is unique, so her Chinese boyfriend, just makes the identification easier. They came recently from a very loving home where their overseers apparently had gotten older and had health issues. They had worked with the pond while they had their geese and so apparently decided that was a good place to leave them. They are taken healthy food each day so they don't have to eat just the bread people feed them. The care taker said she is there all the time and when the geese get too nippy, she has only seen parents yank their kids away from the geese. And she said she wouldn't worry, but if I or someone I knew wanted to adopt some geese, I could talk to the fairgrounds board. So I guess I have my answer from that side. I will ask around, but most of the people I know directly couldn't take our ducks let alone geese, but maybe though the network, I can find somebody or again, if they are still around when we are able, we can adopt them ourselves. At least in the meantime, I have read a couple real good posts by @Olive Hill on goose training, so we will behave more appropriately and not worsen the problem.

Great news that you can adopt them if you want. Though I understand your wish to start with goslings, I don't think it would make a great difference regarding personal bonding. Plus you'd avoid the obnoxious teenage months.

In the video, the gander doesn't look aggressive at all. He seems to behave a lot like my goose does when she's checking out strangers and searching them for treats. I'm trying to teach her that when I show her my empty, outstretched palm and say "stop", it means no more treats. It works 99 out of 100 times with me and most of the time when others do it, but since we're two caregivers and the other one doesn't train her that way, it's sometimes an uphill struggle. If I don't do anything, she'll start tugging my clothes and sometimes my skin.

When I started teaching her, I'd show her my palm and say "stop" two or three times, then immediately turn around and/or walk off. It started working within days, and after a couple of weeks I didn't have to turn around or walk off. Except when she's spent a lot of time with her other caregiver - he likes her tugging and sometimes even encourages it. No amount of me explaining can alter his ways; it's like having a grandparent spoil your child.

I have just gotten caught up on this thread.
Those two are heartbreakers.
I understand the owners could no longer care for them but how sad for those two.
It's clear to see that the boy is bonded to people. I wish I was closer.
I know this thread is older but I'm with you miss Lydia, I fear for their well being.
Wonder if a Farm Sanctuary would take them?
Linda

We went back and saw them last weekend. They always come and greet us now... You should see the looks on people's faces. They are throwing bread out there and we show up and wave and over those two come. They usually don't eat anything we have, I think they are well fed enough, they just visit and Scritchy gets his chest scratched. I have a lady who may be interested in adopting them. Right now she just needs it to be warmer so she can pen them separately from her current geese so they can get to know each other. Once they can be together, there is enough room for them, but not for initial introductions. I hope it works out. She currently has Chinese geese, so Scritchy should be right at home. (She would take them both). He is such a sweetheart. They both still look to be in good health. We have read some goose behavior info on these threads and after several chest bumps, Scritchy is now behaving like a gentleman (he wasn't that bad... just checking) and Scabby is coming much closer although she still hangs back a bit. And after having spent more time with them, I can say Scritchy isn't actually imprinted as a person - I am sure his mom and dad were people and he is very comfortable with people, but he knows he is a goose and is getting along with his girlfriend and the other geese. That was my initial concern. All pond dumps are sad, but initially I thought this might have been an only goose who had imprinted as a person which would have been most tragic. And this pond actually has caretakers that make sure they have plenty of healthy food so other than eating way too much white bread, the geese don't do too bad. And for what it's worth... we saw a couple coots last weekend when we were there
big_smile.png

We went back and saw them last weekend. They always come and greet us now... You should see the looks on people's faces. They are throwing bread out there and we show up and wave and over those two come. They usually don't eat anything we have, I think they are well fed enough, they just visit and Scritchy gets his chest scratched. I have a lady who may be interested in adopting them. Right now she just needs it to be warmer so she can pen them separately from her current geese so they can get to know each other. Once they can be together, there is enough room for them, but not for initial introductions. I hope it works out. She currently has Chinese geese, so Scritchy should be right at home. (She would take them both). He is such a sweetheart. They both still look to be in good health. We have read some goose behavior info on these threads and after several chest bumps, Scritchy is now behaving like a gentleman (he wasn't that bad... just checking) and Scabby is coming much closer although she still hangs back a bit. And after having spent more time with them, I can say Scritchy isn't actually imprinted as a person - I am sure his mom and dad were people and he is very comfortable with people, but he knows he is a goose and is getting along with his girlfriend and the other geese. That was my initial concern. All pond dumps are sad, but initially I thought this might have been an only goose who had imprinted as a person which would have been most tragic. And this pond actually has caretakers that make sure they have plenty of healthy food so other than eating way too much white bread, the geese don't do too bad. And for what it's worth... we saw a couple coots last weekend when we were there
big_smile.png
I hope it works out for your friend to adopt these 2 they sounds very special.

Thank you for the update.
I hope your friend can take them too.
I know how much I love and enjoy mine and how interactive they are with me.
That is probably why when I see him interact with your wife I feel bad for them.
Linda

Hello, I need some help. I couldn't find a thread current enough to post on and I don't know how to start a thread so I apologize for entering into this thread but if someone could help that would be great or direct me to a current thread to ask my question. thank you.
I have ducks and geese. We have had a very bad winter here with regards to snow 108". we still have two feet on the ground even though it was 60 degrees today. My problem is that my ducks and geese have not been able to swim and bathe since jan. before the first foot of snow. Today we were able to let my geese out and filled a small pool for them to bathe. They loved it but they were wet for the rest of the day. I put a heat lamp in the barn over their pen for a couple of hours this afternoon but shut it off at sunset (There was no heat in the barn all winter so I didn't want to have other issues with the other birds.) temps will be in the mid 40s tonight. They were drier by then but not completely. Neither of the geese preened themselves after the bath? I have read this could be due to not bathing for long periods of time. I have ducks as well and have not had them out either. Today is the only warm day we are getting for the next week. I am concerned now if I let my ducks swim they will have the same problem and the weather is still winter. I don't know what to do. I didn't know this would happen, as I stated we have no way to let them swim once the snow flies. I don't know how to fix it. My poor guy was so wet I had to try several times to towel him off. He was not a happy camper about it either. Can someone tell me if I would be better off not letting them bathe again until the winter is completely over or is this just a temporary problem? They took the bath around noon and were still not dry at 7p.m.
idunno.gif
after tonight overnight lows will be in the 30's for the next week. Also, is it likely my ducks will also have this problem?

Last edited:
Hello, I need some help. I couldn't find a thread current enough to post on and I don't know how to start a thread so I apologize for entering into this thread but if someone could help that would be great or direct me to a current thread to ask my question. thank you.
I have ducks and geese. We have had a very bad winter here with regards to snow 108". we still have two feet on the ground even though it was 60 degrees today. My problem is that my ducks and geese have not been able to swim and bathe since jan. before the first foot of snow. Today we were able to let my geese out and filled a small pool for them to bathe. They loved it but they were wet for the rest of the day. I put a heat lamp in the barn over their pen for a couple of hours this afternoon but shut it off at sunset (There was no heat in the barn all winter so I didn't want to have other issues with the other birds.) temps will be in the mid 40s tonight. They were drier by then but not completely. Neither of the geese preened themselves after the bath? I have read this could be due to not bathing for long periods of time. I have ducks as well and have not had them out either. Today is the only warm day we are getting for the next week. I am concerned now if I let my ducks swim they will have the same problem and the weather is still winter. I don't know what to do. I didn't know this would happen, as I stated we have no way to let them swim once the snow flies. I don't know how to fix it. My poor guy was so wet I had to try several times to towel him off. He was not a happy camper about it either. Can someone tell me if I would be better off not letting them bathe again until the winter is completely over or is this just a temporary problem? They took the bath around noon and were still not dry at 7p.m.
idunno.gif
after tonight overnight lows will be in the 30's for the next week. Also, is it likely my ducks will also have this problem?
I think once they can get to bathing on a reg schedule they will begin to preen and get the oils all over their feathers again. So I'd let them bath on day when the temps are going to be in high 30's at night this will get them to start preening. Did you actually feel under the feathers were they wet too or just their top feathers. that insulation of down underneath was probably not so wet. Only way to know about the ducks is let them swim and see but water fowl are very hardy and with temps just into 30's at night will probably be nothing compared to what they have been through in dead of winter.

I think once they can get to bathing on a reg schedule they will begin to preen and get the oils all over their feathers again. So I'd let them bath on day when the temps are going to be in high 30's at night this will get them to start preening. Did you actually feel under the feathers were they wet too or just their top feathers. that insulation of down underneath was probably not so wet. Only way to know about the ducks is let them swim and see but water fowl are very hardy and with temps just into 30's at night will probably be nothing compared to what they have been through in dead of winter.

thank you so much. Yes he was pretty wet quite deep into his under feathers. I don't think he was soaked to the skin as I did feel a little warmth way up. I went in first thing this morning, he is still damp on top. His under feathers and neck are back to being fluffy verses yesterday and he feels warmer under the feathers. I put the heat lamp on, it's positioned quite high so as to keep it a little warmer and drier than it would normally be today. It's 40 degrees, damp and windy outside. we aren't going above 40 today and cold for the next week 30's during the day. The ducks look and act healthy but as i said we still have quite a bit of snow on the ground so no swimming for at least another week.

Back
Top Bottom