Gape worm or respiratory disease??

kristaleigh

Chirping
6 Years
Feb 13, 2013
Albemarle NC
I have two chickens with this. However, the other chicken is a rooster and makes odd hiccup sounds with it. I am assuming this is a cough or a wheeze.

That could be gapeworm. I would treat with fenbendazole (SafeGuard Liquid Goat Wormer) 1/4 ml for each pound of weight for 4-5 days. That is a big dose, but gapeworm requires it. It can also be treated with levamisole. I will double check with Dawg53 to make sure he agrees.

Last edited:
Thanks for the response. I just went out there and tried the q tip down the throat. Without any results. Although I know that doesn't mean it's not gape worms. However, his breath was awful. Smelled sour. He's also scratching at his head. Jeez, I can never treat chickens. They always die once they get sick.

Valbazen will also work. Some vets like to use SafeGuard at 10mg per lb, but others recommend 25mg per lb. The dosage I used above is the higher dosage, since SafeGuard is 100mg per ml, and may need to be more like 1/10 to 2/10 of a ml per lb, rather than the dosage in post #1. So, a 5 lb chicken should get 1/2 ml to 1 ml for 4-5 days. Here is another thread showing some studies done on these drugs in posts 9 and 10: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/877712/gapeworm-diagnosis

Thanks for the response. I just went out there and tried the q tip down the throat. Without any results. Although I know that doesn't mean it's not gape worms. However, his breath was awful. Smelled sour. He's also scratching at his head. Jeez, I can never treat chickens. They always die once they get sick.
Could he have sour crop? Does his crop feel balloon-like and squishy? That might explain the gaping too. Sour crop causes a bad odor. I'm still waiting to hear from Dawg53 if he thinks it looks like gapeworm. Here is a link about sour crop: http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/04/answers-from-chicken-vet-on-impacted.html

The thought crossed my mind that it could be sour crop but the hen in the video has it as well. She is mostly caged. He is free range. I was thinking it's possible they could have come in contact with gape worm but unlikely. More likely they share a respiratory disease. I don't know though. Why would he smell sour but she doesn't. Chickens are ao confusing. Lol I started tylan 50. Will worm as well and check the crop. Thanks sooo much.

You're not going to find anything with a q-tip. Gapeworm are lodged in the windpipe, deep. Has he been eating and drinking? Any wheezing, sneezing, bubbly eyes, head shaking?

It could be a wheeze. But it's not with every breath. Maybe some head shaking. But no other symptoms. Actually A little unbalanced. I'll send a video tomorrow.
Thanks for caring. Every chicken I've tried to treat always dies. We have about 3 loses a year.

It could be a wheeze. But it's not with every breath. Maybe some head shaking. But no other symptoms. Actually A little unbalanced. I'll send a video tomorrow.
Thanks for caring. Every chicken I've tried to treat always dies. We have about 3 loses a year.

I recommend that you follow Eggcessive's directions in post #2 with safeguard as soon as possible, dose all your birds.

Back
Top Bottom