Gape worm or respiratory disease??

So I went out today to get the video, and of course he's not making the odd noise as much. So maybe the tylan is helping. I think I saw a sneeze and he is definitely rubbing his head on the ground some. Also he had some like drool on the side of his beak (like a big dog). Lol he doesn't act to sick and maybe looking a little better today. Thanks for listening to me rant. He is our first rooster out of like 10 that has never attack my kids or me. He is a gentle giant.

Valbazen will also work.  Some vets like to use SafeGuard at 10mg per lb,  but others recommend 25mg per lb.  The dosage I used above is the higher dosage, since SafeGuard is 100mg per ml, and may need to be more like 1/10 to 2/10 of a ml per lb, rather than the dosage in post #1.    So, a 5 lb chicken should get 1/2 ml to 1 ml for 4-5 days.   Here is another thread showing some studies done on these drugs in posts 9 and 10:  https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/877712/gapeworm-diagnosis

Sorry to high-jack the thread, I 'think' one of my RSL has gape worm I treated all with safe guard, r u saying in ur post here that I need to continue for up to 5 days? She 'seemed' a littke better today (second dose was today) but even now in the coop I can hear her makin a sound (almost seems I hear it more at night rather than during the day) she's my largest/oldest RSL (4.5 months) eating GREAT and running around. I have began wandering if it's respitory instead (I've heard a sneeze more than once today) any ideas? Am I doing things correctly? Thanks

Sounds like you're dealing with a respiratory disease or fungal problem, not gapeworm.

Ya, reason I thought gape worm is because she had a gaping beak & kept stretching her neck...like a lot! And even as of this morning is NOT doing those things anymore. Ugh it's tough to figure out. I called my vet (who said they absolutist would NOT see a chicken) so I called others to get same response...I shoulda become one, apparently my area needs one.
So, should I begin tylan treatment? And should I continue the safeguard with the tylan? Thanx soooo very much

Are you referring to the white hen not looking sick? I don't know what is wrong with her so I will be following this thread. But to me she doesn't look like she feels good at all.

Sorry your rooster passed away. He was stunning!

Back
Top Bottom