Gape worm or respiratory disease??

Are you referring to the white hen not looking sick? I don't know what is wrong with her so I will be following this thread. But to me she doesn't look like she feels good at all.

Sorry your rooster passed away. He was stunning!
You're right... hadn't seen the video until just now and she does not look well to me either. That's definitely one I would worm for 5 days. I'd also be weighing her daily and tubing her if she was losing weight.

-Kathy

I don't treat with antibiotics unless there I see symptoms, but I will worm, and lately I've been doing Safeguard 5 days in a row at .5ml per 2.2 pounds (50mg/kg).

-Kathy

Thank u Kathy, I agree, I'm REALLY not wanting to give antibiotics! I just went out (they free range all day) and one of the younger pullets is sneezing (I think, kinda sounds like could b a chirp lol) she's approx 3 months. Ok then unless I see/hear symptoms of illness other than worms I will just keep treating for the worms (which @this point I'm SURE they do have). I've also been using BRAGG's ACV (with mother) in their water & mash (for all 5)
OK! Then it's time to go give safe guard for third day! Thanks soo much!!

The runny poop you've been seeing might be from the hot days we've been having. It's been pretty hot here, so I'm pretty sure it's been blazing hot in Red Bluff. Stay cool!

Kathy

The rooster died. He relapsed. Apparently 5 days was not enough. Should have gone 7-10. Next time I'll know better. Thanks for all your suggestions.
Sorry that you lost the little guy. Since you really don't know if this was a respiratory disease such as MG or ILT, or gapeworm, I really suggest that you either get testing done on a sick bird or a necropsy done for another death. Below is info for your state vet and testing officials. I would call them and find out details of shipping and prices to know how to handle this if it happens again.

NCDA&CS Veterinary Division, Dr. David Marshall, DVM, State Veterinarian
Mailing Address:1030 Mail Service Center, Raleigh, NC 27699-1030
Physical Address: 2 W. Edenton Street, Raleigh, NC 27601
Phone: (919) 733-7601; FAX: (919) 733-2277

Dr Sara J Mason
NC Dept of Ag & Consumer Services
Veterinary Division
Raleigh, NC 27699
Phone: 919-733-7601 Fax:919-733-2277
[email protected]

Mr Jimmy Collie
NC Dept of Ag & Consumer Services
Veterinary Division
Raleigh, NC 27699
Phone: 919-733-7601 Fax:9

The video of the white bird is what my rooster was doing as well. I treated the white bird for 3 days with Tylan and she returned to normal. I believe I am dealing with some sort of respiratory illness. In hind sight I will not go less than 5-7 days of treatment any more. I believe my rooster was much sicker and I should have treated him for longer. I knew once he relapsed, it was bad news. Thanks for the condolences and the suggestions.

Are gapeworms contagious from bird to bird? I think I have a couple with it because they are showing the signs, but all my hens have quit laying. Is it possible they are just not as bad as the others?

Are gapeworms contagious from bird to bird? I think I have a couple with it because they are showing the signs, but all my hens have quit laying. Is it possible they are just not as bad as the others?
Gapeworm eggs are picked up via soil and insects. Submit feces samples to a vet to be looked at under a microscope and they will tell you if gapeworm oocysts are present. Or you can submit your sickest bird for necropsy. They will slice open the trachea to verify if gapeworms are present. Contact your local extension office to find out how to submit a bird for necropsy.

That could be gapeworm. I would treat with fenbendazole (SafeGuard Liquid Goat Wormer) 1/4 ml for each pound of weight for 4-5 days. That is a big dose, but gapeworm requires it. It can also be treated with levamisole. I will double check with Dawg53 to make sure he agrees.
i’m having the same issue with my hen and rooster and i wanted to make sure that goat dewormer is safe for chickens too?

Back
Top Bottom