Gapeworm?

Our chicken had her mouth open - and now that I think about it has done this far awhile.... I thought she was just panting - I noticed it first in the summer whae it was hot...

She has a funny crow and now a cough (but no drainage).

Is this Gapeworm?

http://www.msstate.edu/dept/poultry/disparas.htm
According
to Mississippi State University website:

The life cycle of the gapeworm is similar to that of the cecal worm; the parasite can be transmitted when birds eat embryonated worm eggs or earthworms containing the gapeworm larvae. The female worm lays eggs in the trachea, the eggs are coughed up, swallowed, and pass out in the droppings. Within eight to fourteen days the eggs embryonate and are infective when eaten by birds or earthworms. The earthworm, snails and slugs serve as primary intermediate hosts for the gapeworm. Gapeworms in infected earthworms remain viable for four and a half years while those in snails and slugs remain infective for one year. After being consumed by the bird, gapeworm larvae hatch in the intestine and migrate from the intestine to the trachea and lungs.

The parasite can be controlled by strict sanitation. If the birds are confined, clean the house thoroughly and completely before a new group is brought in. Segregate birds by age groups, with particular care applied to sanitation of young birds. If birds are on range, use a clean range for each group of birds.
I copied this from another post, hope this helps!

What are the actual symptoms of Gapeworm? I have a hen that appears very healthy and thrifty. But every once in awhile she gapes like she wants to yawn and then is fine. She will do this when she is just looking around for treats, otherwise she does chicken things with her sister and acts very chicken like. But then again she will just barf up some liquid like she drank too much water or something. Does this behaviour go hand in hand? Everything else is fine with her.

Sorry, didn't mean to threadjack, but since the topic came up...

They will do the open mouth thing, but also cough and shake their heads. If the gape continues to grow, they will eventually choke. Mine do that gagging thing all the time when they've eaten something that didn't go down easily, like a long piece of straw, so it isn't necessarily gapes.

doubtful its gapeworms, as they grow really fast, and a bird infested with them will choke to death in a matter weeks. gapeworms are actually rare in chickens..

I have a hen (Thelma is her name) who has been gasping for air for several weeks. She is the only one of 5 hens doing it. She is really suffering. Her comb is a dark red, while the others are bright red. This tells me she isn't getting enough oxygen. Is this gapeworm? Can I medicate her somehow to treat this?

Back
Top Bottom