Worried this is infectious laryngotracheitis

Ndahly

Chirping
May 22, 2022
Minnesota
Hello everyone!
I just got this little guy yesterday and he came with a pullet. I'm starting to have a panic attack and I'm worried this is infectious laryngotracheitis.
I separated the pullet and she's quarantined as well and is not showing any of the signs he is.
He's eating and drinking fine, and his poop is normal. He doesn't have any discharge from his nose or eyes and I haven't seen any blood being coughed up. I initially thought it was gapeworm because from my understanding smaller breeds are more susceptible to it, but did more research and read that gapeworm is actually really uncommon. I treated him with safeguard (thinking it's gapeworm) and also nutri drench and the vet rx. It's Sunday so nothing was open that would have anything else. He doesn't do this constantly, when he sits he looks and sounds like he breathes fine and isn't gasping. If it is infectious laryngotracheitis how can I tell for sure? And how long would it take the pullet to start showing symptoms.
I had to upload the video to YouTube because it wouldn't work here.

Attachments

• PXL_20240205_015839534.jpg
    PXL_20240205_015839534.jpg
    428.2 KB · Views: 40
Can you take them back?

ILT is more unlikely, but without testing, it's just a guess at to what ails him.

There's a potential that he may have MG or Coryza, but I don't see facial swelling at this time and you don't report a bad odor.

Whatever he's got, I would be concerned that he and the pullet he came with both are carriers of something that can spread to other birds/existing flock. There's always risk when you introduce new birds.

His beak is overgrown, face is quite pale. It's be interesting to see all of him.

IF you are going to keep him, then you can try treating with an antibiotic like Tylosin which you can order online. Trim or file the beak and check inside the beak for any signs of canker, mucous, lesions, etc.

Deworming/treating with Safeguard is probably a good idea. Even though Gapeworm is unlikely, he may have worms in general. Since you started Safeguard (fenbendazole) I'd finish the course of treatment. Liquid Safeguard dose is 0.23ml per pound of weight given orally once daily for 5 days in a row.

Check him over for lice/mites and keep him and the pullet separated from existing birds.

Do keep in mind if he recovers/gets better with treatment, he can still be a carrier and pass whatever this is along to other birds.

Personally, I wouldn't add a bird like this to my existing flocks, while sad and a hard decision to make, I'd cull then sanitize the area. Everyone keeps birds differently.

https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/publication/PS044

I agree with Wyorp Rock. If there is any reason to think that he might be ill or a carrier, I would return both birds. I decided a long time ago, that I would not buy chickens from other people due to many possible diseases that can be brought into an existing flock, affecting the others for life. There are at least 8 respiratory diseases affecting chickens. Stress during a move can sometimes cause symptoms to show up. The things to look for besides gasping are nasal drainage, swollen or foamy eyes, sneeze or cough, and congestion or noisy breathing. New birds should be in quarantine far away from others for at least a month ideally.

Thank you both for the replies.
I have had good luck before buying from select people, but I'm done with that now! This just showed me how easily it could be to infect a healthy flock. I didn't notice any of these signs when I got them, or on the way home. No gasping or sneezing/coughing. Maybe they were a little pale but it's winter and cold here. I really don't want the risk when I have 50 healthy chickens though.
Im usually pretty good about quarantine and always wash and change clothes when going to tend to my other chickens but now I'm panicking a little bit that I'm not being careful enough.
I think I am just going to make the decision to cull them, im worried if they go back she may end up trying to resell and then someone else may end up with the problem.

I was able to check in his mouth and didn't find any sores, lesions or anything abnormal looking. I may end up doing a necropsy on him just to see.

So he did have lice pretty bad, and I did see eggs as well. I did treat him with elector psp until I decide to cull. I'm wondering if that could cause his respiratory problems?

I haven’t used Elector PSP, but as long as you used it per the directions, it should not have affected him. But it is hard to know what is going on with him for sure. Mold and ammonia fumes can affect the breathing of poultry and can cause damage.

I haven’t used Elector PSP, but as long as you used it per the directions, it should not have affected him. But it is hard to know what is going on with him for sure. Mold and ammonia fumes can affect the breathing of poultry and can cause damage.
I just re read what I wrote and misworded it. I meant could lice or mites cause respiratory problems? Lol I need to proof read.

Back
Top Bottom