Silkie not able to bear weight

You need to determine if it has mites or lice first and how bad it is. Don't assume, do a physical check. If he's not on deaths door step and does have an infestation all over his body.

This is for extreme emergency:

The fastest way to get rid of mite infestation is to bathe a chicken in very warm soapy water ( use dawn or any dish soap ) and getting the soapy water all over the body and head without aspirating it. So careful handling is required. Then rinse thoroughly and wrap in a towel wicking the excess moisture. Then placed under a heating bulb to throughly dry out.

I would not soak him if he's lethargic and not feeling well, it may send him over the edge.

Work on hydration, get the vitamins into him and see that he's eating.

Hopefully he'll come around. Do you know if he was vaccinated for Marek's?
He was not to my knowledge. If he makes a full recovery is it too late to vaccinate?

You need to determine if it has mites or lice first and how bad it is. Don't assume, do a physical check. If he's not on deaths door step and does have an infestation all over his body.

This is for extreme emergency:

The fastest way to get rid of mite infestation is to bathe a chicken in very warm soapy water ( use dawn or any dish soap ) and getting the soapy water all over the body and head without aspirating it. So careful handling is required. Then rinse thoroughly and wrap in a towel wicking the excess moisture. Then placed under a heating bulb to throughly dry out.
They were little brown-light brown bugs

How is he doing?

No, I would not vaccinate him.
Still not bearing weight but moving around more. I do not see anymore live lice on him. Still eating and drinking really good. I feed him about every 2-3 hours. I am going to mix him up a more fattening feed of sunflower seeds, corn, flock raiser, and calf manna to try to get his weight back on.
How is he doing?

No, I would not vaccinate him.

Hi.

How is your rooster?
Still not bearing weight but moving around more. I do not see anymore live lice on him. Still eating and drinking really good. I feed him about every 2-3 hours. I am going to mix him up a more fattening feed of sunflower seeds, corn, flock raiser, and calf manna to try to get his weight back on.

Fattening him up is not going to help.

I would stick with his normal nutritionally balanced poultry feed and start vitamin therapy.

Silkies are susceptible to having neurological problems, so I would start him on vitamin therapy.
Give him 400IU Vitamin E and 1/4 tablet B-Complex daily along with a small amount of egg.

I can’t seem to find any poultry vitamin e by its self. What kind do you use? Thank you for all of your input!

Back
Top Bottom