Gardening-Starting seeds question

I bought seed starting kits from Lowes last year and absolutely love them. They have the starting trays with lids, the Jiffy peat pellets and an electrical heating mat to that goes underneath to keep the soil warm so the seeds will germinate.

My DH built me some shelves in the storage area in our basement for starting vegetable seeds. If I tried to put them in a window, the cat would eat them. The shelves are only about a foot wide, because that is all the wider the seed starter trays are, and just long enough for two trays to sit on. We bought shop lights that hang from chains so that we can move the lights up as the plants grow taller. They hold two flouresent light bulbs - I use one cool light and one bright white light in each fixture, instead of buying the more expensive grow lights. The key is to have the widest spectrum of light you can get and this works really well.

You won't need lights until the seedlings start to grow, just the heat mat to keep the starter medium warm. Make sure that it is moist, not wet. You will get condensation on the clear top, be careful when you remove the top so that the water drops don't crush the new seedlings. Once the seedlings reach the plastic, you will want to take the top off.

Remember to rotate your trays so that the plants don't reach and bendover into one direction.

A oscillating fan on the seedlings once they get about 2-3" tall will help them develope sturdier stems and take the transplant to the outside better.

You don't need a metal halide bulb to start your seedlings after they have germinated and true leaves start growing out. A high wattage cfl will work fine, or those T5's but they are pricier. Ridgerunner's setup is what I had in mind
smile.png

Thank you everyone for the replies. I think I may have my setup...my husband had previously taken down the screen in our breezeway and put up full windows (he actually used the full sheets of glass from sliding glass doors), but there were two feet spaces on each side of the glasses that he had not finished. So, today, I went out and stapled up clear plastic. I am thinking this may make somewhat of a greenhouse effect, especially if I use lights like everyone suggests. I found a website that shows me exactly what to plant and when for my zone. I am so excited. I have tried to start seeds before and they sprouted fine, but then, they just fell over. I didn't know I had to put lights on them though. I just sat them in a windowsill, but I have to admit, I didn't care for them like I should have. I kind of just put them there and let them be. So, I am really going to pay attention this year and try to have a great garden. I do have another question though. Instead of using heaters to heat the soil, could I put a tray of seed in an incubator until they sprout and then put them under lights. I have a brinsea cabinet incubator where I can set the temperature and humidity to what I want. Is this a crazy idea?

That would be very interesting...can't say anymore on it because I've never done it but if you do, please tell us how it goes
pop.gif
I saw a heating mat at a local gardening supplies store here and it was $20. I don't have an incubator but it would still be cool to see if it works.

Quote:
Using your incubator is a great idea, I'm planning on using mine this year, too. I usually use a heating pad in a box to start my seeds, and this year I will use both.

Quote:
Using your incubator is a great idea, I'm planning on using mine this year, too. I usually use a heating pad in a box to start my seeds, and this year I will use both.

Do I need to set the humidity or just turn that off and water them?

Turn off the humidity, and just keep the soil damp. The enclosed area, and damp soil will keep everything humid. Once your seed sprout, take them out and place under grow lights, or in a sunny warm spot.

Back
Top Bottom