Gasp, feed at TSC is less per pound than my local feed store

saysfaa

Free Ranging
6 Years
Jul 1, 2017
Upper Midwest, USA
A lesson in the dangers of assuming. I hadn't checked for many months.

I also assumed the TSC stores in the region would have similar prices. Not so. The one I was at yesterday is third closest (maybe fourth closest), and decidedly different than the two closest to me. It did get me checking the closest store when I got home. That one had feed a little higher but about the same as the local mill. Last year, the mill was much less expensive.

And I didn't buy any, :(. I'm already stocked up with as much feed as I can easily store.

I guess I will be reconsidering how well I like my ground feed - that is, whether I might like pellets or crumble are equal as well. I didn't like the last crumble I bought at all but maybe Purina Layena has a better texture? I don't really want to buy 50 lbs to find out.

Last edited:

I also assumed the TSC stores in the region would have similar prices. Not so. The one I was at yesterday is third closest (maybe fourth closest), and decidedly different than the two closest to me. It did get me checking the closest store when I got home. That one had feed a little higher but about the same as the local mill. Last year, the mill was much less expensive.

And I didn't buy any, :(. I'm already stocked up with as much feed as I can easily store.

I guess I will be reconsidering how well I like my ground feed - that is, whether I might like pellets or crumble are equal as well. I didn't like the last crumble I bought at all but maybe Purina Layena has a better texture? I don't really want to buy 50 lbs to find out.

I'm sort of remote - and no one can compete with my local family feed store, not even the mill that supplies them (because my family feed extends their bulk discount to me - which I wouldn't get if I bought direct from the mill). But I do have three TSC w/i equal distance of me. Two are districted here in FL, their prices are identical. The third is distrcted in AL (or maybe sw GA?) - different prices. Two Lowes stores, same story - different districts, different pricing (and inventories!)

It pays to shop around.

Last edited:
Even as a chain, prices may vary by location. I saw that with Walmart stores a few times (plus the selection can be totally different as well)
I don't think even G-D knows how they calculate that. Some local costs may play a role, like sales taxes, but overall?
I've heard that many places price stuff by what zipcode that you live in.

Tsc was removing all their purina feed because of mold in the ingredients that it was made out of is what the manager said

Back
Top Bottom