Gasping for air periodically + nasal discharge

Chickentings

Chirping
Apr 19, 2023
Help! I have a sneezing, nasal dishcharge from nostril, and gasping for air periodically 10 week old chick. My whole flock got sneezing symptoms but it improved in them after 2 days of vetrx. I don’t know where I can get testing done to see what the sickly bird has, we don’t have avian vets and regular vets near me won’t see chickens. What can I do to help this chick fight off whatever it has or save it? Is it possible she will improve?

What is your general location? Many state vet labs can arrange for testing, as well as some NPIP certifiers. Zoologix national lab and RAL can also send swabs to do your own collection, and then you can send the swabs in to the lab. If you can find antibiotics, such as Tylan 50 or Tylosin powder, or injectable oxytetracycline, we can give dosages.

Where did the chicks come from? Do you have other birds? Most respiratory diseases are brought into a flock by adding birds from other people. They can make the birds carriers for months to their whole lives. Do you see any bubbles or foam in either eye? Please list any other symptoms.

What is your general location? Many state vet labs can arrange for testing, as well as some NPIP certifiers. Zoologix national lab and RAL can also send swabs to do your own collection, and then you can send the swabs in to the lab. If you can find antibiotics, such as Tylan 50 or Tylosin powder, or injectable oxytetracycline, we can give dosages.

Where did the chicks come from? Do you have other birds? Most respiratory diseases are brought into a flock by adding birds from other people. They can make the birds carriers for months to their whole lives. Do you see any bubbles or foam in either eye? Please list any other symptoms.
I introduced a new flock from an npip farm an hour away. I’m located in jarrell, tx (central tx). I first treated the birds for confirmed cocci (Corid in water supply). The birds are all 8-10weeks old. Symptoms: very little nasal discharge, sneezing, and what sounds like crackling or garbling when they breathe sometimes. Out of 9 birds, 3 have visible symptoms. They all began to get those symptoms one day after the other. The first one who had symptoms of sneezing and some nasal discharge + crackling noise has improved. Still sounds nasal but acting normal and less crackling. The 3rd that showed signs yesterday, is the worst I’ve seen. Today, she kind of gasps for air every few minutes. She’s the most raspy sounding one and lethargic. My first one that had symptoms did not ever show those signs of gasping for air. I spread liberally over every chicken since they were all in the same coop. Vet Rx under wings, behind neck, around beak and rubbed in mouth, on waddles and combs. Dropped a few drops in their food and water. Everyone is foraging, eating, and drinking just fine. Today is the last day for Corid water treatment. Should I add probiotics and vitmains to their feed/water tomorrow?

Back
Top Bottom