Geese Breed Focus - African

it looks like we are getting a couple African goslings today. any advice on imprinting? introducing them to the rest of the flock? if we keep them in the house and show them lots of attention, and they get comfortable with the other animals will that work? I'm hoping so. I'd LOVE for them to eat grass, follow us around and be quiet unless there is need :) so excited.

it looks like we are getting a couple African goslings today. any advice on imprinting? introducing them to the rest of the flock? if we keep them in the house and show them lots of attention, and they get comfortable with the other animals will that work? I'm hoping so. I'd LOVE for them to eat grass, follow us around and be quiet unless there is need :) so excited.

you took the words right out of my keyboard.

I have all the same questions. We got a couple African geese about 10 days ago. They are very charming. I totally want them to a) eat grass and b) make noise if someone is after the ducks. Otherwise, cute silence. *crossing fingers*

Happy to learn all about them.

So I'm planning to get a trio of African goslings but one thing bothers me... do they all have dewlaps? I dunno I'm not a fan of the dewlap. Anyway I want to try to breed out my own strain of African, a lighter weight(maybe even smaller), friendlier Bird. Of course I'm getting ambitious, but anyway. When I get them what exactly should I expect? Are they loud? Are they aggressive? Are they BIG?

So I'm planning to get a trio of African goslings but one thing bothers me... do they all have dewlaps? I dunno I'm not a fan of the dewlap. Anyway I want to try to breed out my own strain of African, a lighter weight(maybe even smaller), friendlier Bird. Of course I'm getting ambitious, but anyway. When I get them what exactly should I expect? Are they loud? Are they aggressive? Are they BIG?

I just got my trio on the 3rd, they hatched the 2nd. At first I could hold all three in my arms, now I can only hold one at a time. They grow pretty fast. My three aren't loud, at least not yet. They sleep in my room in their own pen of course and they never really make any noise until I walk by and they see me. They're very social able and mine love to be petted and held, so if you get them any friendlier please let me know.

My Africans from Metzer Farm's don't have dewlaps and are quiet small and light. 8 pounds and 7 pounds, gander and goose. My gander is loud, but only around people he doesn't know, otherwise he doesn't talk a lot. His mate is also very quiet most of the time. This is them flying, you can see they are pretty agile!

Edited to add that they are noisy in flight too.
big_smile.png

0.jpg

Last edited:
Aww so cute

At the moment I'm planning to get a trio of Africans from Cackle hatchery. They have a small order thing so I'm getting that

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom