Geese Breed Focus - Pomeranian

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Premium Feather Member
8 Years
Jun 28, 2011
Although only an officially recognized breed since 1912, the Pomeranian breed was developed by Northern German farmers of Pomerania as early as 1500. Once popular as a market goose throughout Europe, today there are few breeders of the Historical Pomeranian goose. In their native Germany, Pomeranian Geese are a "utilitarian goose breed" represented white, grey, saddleback buff, and saddleback grey varieties. The American Saddleback Pomeranian is the accepted variety of this breed in the USA, and is recognised by the American Poultry Association. Its head, back, and flanks are light grey or beige. The Pomeranian is the only descendant of the Greylag goose specifically bred for a single-lobed paunch. In the USA these geese often have two lobes nonetheless, due to genetic variation and in-breeding.

Pomeranian Geese entered the APA's Standard of Perfection in 1977 as Saddleback Pomeranian and are standardised in Gray and Buff.

Details:

Origin: Germany
Weight: Gander 18-24 lb; Goose 16-20 lb
Egg laying: 35-70 eggs
annually

Pic by @1MrsMagoo

Pic by @1MrsMagoo

Pic by @1MrsMagoo

Pic by @WarrenHound

BYC Breed Reviews:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/products/pomeranian

BYC Breed Discussions:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/685683/pomeranian-goose-breed-thread/0_30

Do you own Pomeranian geese? Are you a Pomeranian geese breeder? If so, please reply to this thread with the your thoughts and experiences, including:

· What made you decide to get this breed?
· Do you own them for fun? Breeding? Some other purpose?
· What are your favorite characteristics about this breed?
· Post some pics of your birds; male/female, chicks, eggs, etc!

Last edited:
One of the sweetest birds I've ever owned was a Pomeranian Gander. He was also much quieter than my White Chinese Geese.

I want Pomeranian Geese
love.gif

Again...tough to come by where I live.
barnie.gif

We tried to this year. We have a Saddleback Pomeranian goose and a White Chinese gander. Not for a lack of trying, but none of the eggs she laid were viable. They are both just a year old, not sure how much of a factor that is. Papa goose, as we call him, is the most loud and obnoxious thing on the property. His shrill scream is enough to make your ears hurt!!!

We tried to this year. We have a Saddleback Pomeranian goose and a White Chinese gander. Not for a lack of trying, but none of the eggs she laid were viable. They are both just a year old, not sure how much of a factor that is. Papa goose, as we call him, is the most loud and obnoxious thing on the property. His shrill scream is enough to make your ears hurt!!!
Too bad the eggs weren't developing.
sad.png
Was she incubating or were the eggs in a incubator?

Too bad the eggs weren't developing.
sad.png
Was she incubating or were the eggs in a incubator?

We did both. I grabbed a couple of eggs that she started and put them in the incubator. After 2 weeks we gave up on both of them. Neither progressed at all. Then just a week ago, we grabbed 4 more and put them in the incubator. She had been sitting on them for a few weeks. All four didn't progress and one of them almost exploded from being bad. Quick way to find out if eggs are rotting? Put them in the incubator and let them come up to temp... The smell makes an appearance rather quickly... Anyhow, there are still a few eggs of hers out in the coop where she has a nest arranged. Only time will tell. I'm told by the spousal unit that this weekend we're collecting ALL the eggs, candling and then putting only viable eggs in the incubator. i guess that means she's not impressed with the natural egg hatching method. :)

Back
Top Bottom