Had an amazing end of season hatching a great variety. Since only my male is buff, I would think all the buff colored babies are female? Looks like I will have some black and some buff Saddlebacks too. And a seven week old Saddleback.
D5AA51B3-84E8-4623-88E4-A547B982BEE3.jpeg
077FE578-C31B-4B5E-BF70-1BB872040386.jpeg

Had an amazing end of season hatching a great variety. Since only my male is buff, I would think all the buff colored babies are female? Looks like I will have some black and some buff Saddlebacks too. And a seven week old Saddleback.View attachment 3180112View attachment 3180106
Congratulations Beautiful Babies.
I can only tell you how the buff gen works with my geese who are african. But should be the same.
The Buff color is sex linked so if the boy is pure Buff (no other colors in his background) He will throw the buff to his girls. If there is grey or something else he can thow it to boys to. This is a a copy of the domestic waterfowl association and some work the did with Dave Holderread
quote ..........
From my importation of day old goslings in 1999 a problem arose because only female Buff Africans hatched at the opportune moment and Dave Holderread forwarded these with the rest of the order so as to avoid disappointment ..Upon a visit to his wonderful establishment in 2000 he gave me the following explanation for the way forward. I believe this would also work for Buff Toulouse so I felt this may be of interest to any of you experimenting out there. I suppose I ought to mention that Ihave already completed step one successfully with my Buff Africans.​

first mating;

Brown African gander X Buff African goose = ALL Brown offspring

Brown ganders carry buff genetically [call this B/B1]

Brown geese DO NOT carry buff genetically speaking.

Second mating

B/B1 gander X Buff African goose = 1/2 males AND 1/2 females Brown and 1/2 males AND 1/2 females Buff

OR

B/B1 gander X pure Brown female = All males Brown

1/2 females Brown AND 1/2 females Buff

AND

Buff gander X pure Brown female = All ganders Brown [this is B/B1] =All geese Buff

Thank you JRies! That pretty much is what I was hoping. Of course, I won't be 100% sure until next mating season, unless I get a DNA test, if all the buffs are really girls.

So, I guess the mothers' Saddleback can be passed to either male or female offspring. Otherwise, how could I have any buff Saddlebacks or regular dark feathered saddleback goslings?

I had been under the impression that none of my goslings could not be saddleback since only my adult females have that pattern and that an adult male Saddleback would be needed in order for any goslings to have that characteristic. BUT, I now know with 100% certainty this happens because of my goslings.

I want to approach next mating season scientifically, like you did following the initial step of Mr. Holderread's findings. I would love to contribute useful goose genetics facts because I am finding very little information out there.

Once the little ones' feathers grow in, I'll have many factors to try to contend with. Mating full curlies with smooth breasted. Mating birds with stiff primary feathers on the wings (all 3 of my young Metzer birds) with colored sebastopols with soft pliable wing feathers. And the color combinations! So many options.

Are there any guidelines out there for determining qualities and characteristics to strive for when you selectively pair your geese for breeding? I know you are supposed to breed your best birds to improve the genetics, but how do you differentiate what makes a great bird from an average bird? And, are there any crosses that should be avoided?

And at 9 weeks old, the first and only gosling from the early part of the season is really cool! Full curly and has a great personality...
D37B320F-272C-450D-975E-AA0CDD58365C.jpeg

JRies quote:
The Buff color is sex linked so if the boy is pure Buff (no other colors in his background) He will throw the buff to his girls. If there is grey or something else he can thow it to boys to.
JRies, just for clarification (after reading this a third time), if my buff gander has grey...he can "throw it to boys to.
Does that mean he can throw grey to the boys?
Or, does it mean he could throw buff to the boys?
I guess what I am asking is if there any possible way genetically that my buff goslings could be boys?

I thought yes, then I thought no. (I think it is like the third option that you mentioned with the buff gander???)
🤔

Last edited:
JRies quote:
The Buff color is sex linked so if the boy is pure Buff (no other colors in his background) He will throw the buff to his girls. If there is grey or something else he can thow it to boys to.
JRies, just for clarification (after reading this a third time), if my buff gander has grey...he can "throw it to boys to.
Does that mean he can throw grey to the boys?
Or, does it mean he could throw buff to the boys?
I guess what I am asking is if there any possible way genetically that my buff goslings could be boys?

I thought yes, then I thought no. (I think it is like the third option that you mentioned with the buff gander???)
🤔
Its a game of what if.
what if your gander is a BB1 in other words color genetics caries both gens
Sex linked color gens are throw from the boy.
what if he is 3 generations out from a BB1
been playing the game all year. So here is my year in breeding.

Buff boys to Brown girls.
2 girls were able to have successful eggs for full hatch.
all Buffs Girls all Browns boys. out of 26 plus babies. sorry lost count. Homed a few out and well the boys left have a appointment in 3 weeks.

BUT and its a big one somewhere down the line there has been a brown boy. Buff is a new color to the Africans even though they have been working on it for years. So some were down the line there is a brown in my buff boys. So yes my buff boys can throw a brown girl.. With my geese its really easy to pick out the boys at 3-4 months mostly by the way they carry themself s and I have adult males they run with so you can catch them in challenge. Girls dont challenge they may hiss or create a hes mine or your in my space but they dont challenge.

At this age you should be able to look for a open cavity when you vent sex. At 3 months the boys dont really give it up but there vent is really tight and the girls is pliable a little more open and soft. Boys vents are really never very open very tight.

I just did my white Africans who are now 4 months old for practice and need to know if I had 3 before appointment time. Girls were open boys very tight. But yep at this age they dont give it up well.

I did also sent the egg shells in of the first few hatches and buff girls and brown boys but there will always be the what if,

If you have made it this far here is a link to the goose calculator.
Its a little hard to use you will have to play with the +- ect. to get what you have started with Iv been working with it to figgure out how many gens it will take to take my white to brown and bring them back to white.
http://kippenjungle.nl/kruisingFlex.html?DATA=S;Goose Color Calculator;;F;gans/;jpg;1,G;Sd;Sexlinked Dilution;S;,G;Sp;Spotted;;,G;Bl;Blue;;,G;G;Buff;S;,A;Sd;Sd;S;Dimorphic;H;Dilute;;,A;Sd;sd+;S;;R;;W;,A;Sp;Sp+;;;D;;W;,A;Sp;sp;;Pied;R;;;,A;Bl;Bl;;Silver;H;Blue;;1,A;Bl;bl+;;;H;;W;,A;G;G+;S;;D;;W;,A;G;g;S;Buff;R;;;1,C;NVL;;;Grey;,C;EC;Dimorphic;Pied;White;,C;RP;Blue;Buff;Lilac;,C;RP;Silver;Buff;Cream;&ID=ganscalculator4IE

Last edited:
Thanks. I've played with that calculator a few times and was always more confused then when I started. The first time we vent sexed, all the goslings were female! We tried again a week later and think we had a boy or two. We'll try again with your suggestions. I really appreciate your info and it is great learning new things about the gaggle!!!
:bow

Back
Top Bottom