Geese food

Joetee

In the Brooder
Oct 6, 2015
I just acquired 3 geese. The lady I purchased from said to feed cracked corn and mash.
I read that they really like wheat and that mash isn't good.
So now I feed them wheat in a large bowl covered in water. They devour it.

So question is, am I doing ok with there food?

I still leave a little mash and corn for them if they want it.

Oh yea they have grass. As soon as my fence is complete they will have 4 acres to run around on.

Last edited:
As winter approaches, there may not be enough grass. Game bird feed or an All Flock feed is good for geese and is a more balanced diet than straight wheat or straight corn.

As winter approaches, there may not be enough grass. Game bird feed or an All Flock feed is good for geese and is a more balanced diet than straight wheat or straight corn.
X2! and they can eat Timothy hay also. soft grass hay. @jotee

And @Missouri Julie Welcome to BYC.

I give whole corn on winter afternoons as a snack so they stay warmer over night

Thank you all for your replies. I will have to go get some different food for them. I'm in the middle of trying to build them some sort of a shelter before winter sets in.

I have some questions about geese food. My MIL is taking some leftover seed wheat to the Co-op and getting it mixed with milo and soybeans for her chickens for winter feed. I am not a born-and-raised farm girl, so I didn't know that was even a possibility! Is there a mix of corn, wheat, milo, soybeans, oats, and/or whatever else that I can feed my geese and ducks this winter? I already plan on taking some wheat and growing greenery out of it for my wingers, and have been looking on Amazon for meal worms. $25 for 1,100 meal worms seems like a great deal!

I know I've asked this before, and it's where I learned about growing the wheat, but what else can I give them for treats? What should I avoid giving them? Better yet, I know I've read some of this info on this site already. I looked for it yesterday and this morning, but I just cannot find it again!

You mentioned seed wheat in your second sentence. Don't use anything intended for planting as feed. It's treated with fungicides.
You can take seed flats and grow barley fodder for them. That's a great winter treat. Wheat, peas and sunflower work as fodder too.

I have some questions about geese food. My MIL is taking some leftover seed wheat to the Co-op and getting it mixed with milo and soybeans for her chickens for winter feed. I am not a born-and-raised farm girl, so I didn't know that was even a possibility! Is there a mix of corn, wheat, milo, soybeans, oats, and/or whatever else that I can feed my geese and ducks this winter? I already plan on taking some wheat and growing greenery out of it for my wingers, and have been looking on Amazon for meal worms. $25 for 1,100 meal worms seems like a great deal!

I know I've asked this before, and it's where I learned about growing the wheat, but what else can I give them for treats? What should I avoid giving them? Better yet, I know I've read some of this info on this site already. I looked for it yesterday and this morning, but I just cannot find it again!
Maybe mention to MIL this wouldn't be good to feed to her chickens either since it is treated.

Only my females like Meal worms my ganders won't touch it let me know if yours like it.. I buy meal worms at 44lbs at a time last 6 months. I keep the bags in plastic trash cans with tight fitting lids.

In winter mine get a handful of whole corn in late afternoon for over night heat, and i also give fresh greens like romaine and kale and heads of cabbage over winter since anything green here is dead. Collards chopped is another green mine like.

You mentioned seed wheat in your second sentence. Don't use anything intended for planting as feed. It's treated with fungicides.
You can take seed flats and grow barley fodder for them. That's a great winter treat. Wheat, peas and sunflower work as fodder too.
It hasn't been treated, it is our wheat that was saved from summer harvest to replant this fall. No "-icides" at all! :)

Back
Top Bottom