Geese with Chickens

smdcleland

Songster
Sep 4, 2021
Upstate, NY
My husband and I are debating getting a couple of geese. We heard they are good at protecting chickens. We do not know much about them though. What are your thoughts? Is this a good idea?

They're not good at protecting other fowl, unfortunately. And during breeding season they tend to get very testy and even downright aggressive if they have goslings.
I wouldn't keep my geese and chickens together.
My ducks and geese share a yard and a house at night but I've had to seperate them during breeding season due to the aggression.

I've had two female geese that stayed with my chickens with no problems they were the last 2 at atwoods and the wife felt sorry for them. so we took them home. they were handled a lot when young and gave treats and we never had a problem with them. matter of fact I think geese may be more social than chickens even when we let them and the chickens out to free range. the geese would follow me around like a lost puppy, and was always up to get petted. now having a breeding may be a different story.

If we were to get geese, it would be 2 females.

Everything I read online says they are great protectors of chickens, and can even live with them in the same coop.

My husband and I are debating getting a couple of geese. We heard they are good at protecting chickens. We do not know much about them though. What are your thoughts? Is this a good idea?
If we were to get geese, it would be 2 females.

Everything I read online says they are great protectors of chickens, and can even live with them in the same coop.
I would take the advice of people who keep geese over things I find online. Anyone can put something on the internet. It doesn't mean it is true.

Perhaps this could help you:
A Beginner's Guide to Geese and Are They Right For You

If after reading that, you have some questions, I'm sure we can help you out. I personally have geese and chickens, and I would not recommend keeping all of mine with all of my chickens. They have personalities, and depending on the breed and temperament of the various birds I know who I can and can not mix. And yes, I learned that the hard way. Some of my geese do not tolerate chickens and they killed several before I realized what was happening.

Thank you. I will continue my research before making a decision.
I also see that you have bantams and Cochins. I'm not sure I would trust my geese with them. If you do try it, be very aware they can really hurt and easily kill bantams if they decide to. My Buff gander is particularly rough with small birds throughout the year and on all birds during the breeding season.

Back
Top Bottom