Geese

I have not i have never owned any geese until 3 months ago and im sad to say my cindy died a few hours ago we are so sad but her mate seems to be healthy as a horse do i need to worm him amd how would i do this i am planning on getting another fowl for him maybe 2 i dont want him to be lonely theres just not much info on how to care for geese i appreciate the help

So very sorry to hear Cindy passed away,it's deverstating when you loose them.To worm , use Flubenvet, you can buy it on line. Worm every 3 months . Geese are happier with companions 3 females to one gander is a good number I have found. Country small holding has info on geese and Ashton waterfowl , search on line as there are some good websites. Any particular questions just ask
1f600.png
Welcolme to the wonderful world of goose keeping .

Hi everyone. My name is Yvette and I already have 11 ducks (5 adopted) and am thinking of getting a couple geese this spring. What would I need special and if you'd give me tips and info on goose ownership, it would be very much appreciated.

Merry Christmas!

Hi Yvette

Geese are wonderful and quite easy to keep. Firstly given the threat of Avian flue I would recommend buyin a walk in run with a heavy duty tarp over the top and sides, large enough to get a kiddie paddling pool in. My geese became very depressed after 3 days in the house , so it has been a bit of a rush to set up Near the goose hut from it location on the field when the Alert came through from defra. On the plus side ,I am now ready for any eventuality. One of my girls has arthritis so it is quite handy now the weather is cold for her to be in a restricted area with her family . In addition if you plan on letting them hatch eggs it's great for protecting the goslings from crows and foxes etc while they are small . Geese don't mind the rain at all ,or even snow on the ground but high winds and falling snow are not ideal for them . Again a walk in run is ideal.Buy as large a hut to house them at night as is practical , in the winter I feed them over night in the hut with a tub of water also. Geese don't roost like chickens so I always think it gives them something to keep them occupied overnight and keeps wild birds away. ( we have lots of pheasants in our area) gees in the spring and summer are fine just on grass with a bit of corn in water tub ( to keep,out vermin and they like foraging for the corn) worm with Flubenvet at least twice a year. Mixed grit and oyster shell should always be available , but especially in laying season.talking of which inthe breeding season your normally placid geese can become a little more aggressive, if the gander runs at you ,which they will, don't back off lift your arms so they look like outstretched wings and walk towards them , they need to see you are head goose. Talk to them all the time so they know your voice. Geese tend to recognise your foot ware believe it or not lol and the clothes you are dressed in as opposed to your face. Walk slowly behind them calling , to bed. To bed, when it's time to put them away in the evening , they soon learn what the call means and walk back to the hut, they will not automatically go in as chickens do. Although mine do linger around the hut if I am a couple of mins later then usual putting them to bed . Find a vet that has experience with birds ,exotics vets tend to have experience with poultry if you don't have a avian vet near you. One of my ganders ,Dexter had growths on his eye lids , turns out they were fat lumps and he had high colesterol would you believe ? Treating himself too well to the corn ! Can't think of any thing else at th ,omens but any specific question just ask. Hope it helps .
1f600.png

It's been a while since the last post but I have a question about my two Chinese Geese. On a normal day, they will run away from me but tonight, the female goose actually came up to me and started nibbling on my clothes, rubbing her head on my legs and allowed me to both pet and pick her up. This isn't typical behavior for her. I did check her over to make sure she wasn't hurt and didn't see anything out of sorts. Any ideas what this drastic change could mean? :D

It's been a while since the last post but I have a question about my two Chinese Geese. On a normal day, they will run away from me but tonight, the female goose actually came up to me and started nibbling on my clothes, rubbing her head on my legs and allowed me to both pet and pick her up. This isn't typical behavior for her. I did check her over to make sure she wasn't hurt and didn't see anything out of sorts. Any ideas what this drastic change could mean?
big_smile.png
it could mean she is feeling romantic do you have a gander? usually if a female is being overly receptive to us it's because of mating season. Laying down raising her back up if you rub down her back? If she is acting normal in every other way then this maybe the cause.

@klucas80

Is she being bullied? Is it a one off or has she suddenly become more tame in general? How long have you had them?

I don't believe she's being bullied but it's possible people in the neighborhood who pass by might be harassing the birds.

it could mean she is feeling romantic do you have a gander?  usually if a female is being overly receptive to us it's because of mating season. Laying down raising her back up if you rub down her back?  If she is acting normal in every other way then this maybe the cause. 

@klucas80

Yes, we have a gander. He's been attempting to breed with her but I don't know how successful he's been. Could be frustration?

I don't believe she's being bullied but it's possible people in the neighborhood who pass by might be harassing the birds.
Yes, we have a gander. He's been attempting to breed with her but I don't know how successful he's been. Could be frustration?
Or just feeling very romantic towards anyone and any thing. Just recently one member said her female goose was laying down for her dog. She didn't have a gander. [but needs one real bad] lol

So I am thinking she has just singled you out for some loving, take advantage of it and hug on her you might not get a chance again till next breeding season.

It takes them a while to figure things out but water is important for geese to breed so make sure they have a pool.

Back
Top Bottom