Gender for Blue Ameraucanas

nurseshelly

Songster
8 Years
Feb 24, 2011
Gilbert AZ
Hi,
I have two 12 week old Ameraucanas. I'm wondering what you all think their genders are. I think one is a boy and the other is a girl, but the one I think is a boy doesn't have saddle feathers yet, just his tail is different and his legs are thicker. Comb wise you can see one row of teensy bumps. On the one I think is a girl, you can't see any bumps at all yet. Both are completely flesh colored. They are from different breeding pens, so maybe that accounts for the difference in feathering, but I just don't know. The difference in their tail feathering is what mostly makes me think they both can't be girls. Oh, also Bernie often holds her/his tail straight up, and Beatrice does not ever.

In this picture Beatrice (think is hen) is in the front, Bernie is in the back (but think might be a boy).
80800_img_3160.jpg

Beatrice is in front of Bernie again in this one.
80800_img_3153.jpg

Beatrice is in front again in this one. Along with their blue feathered silky bff. Bernie is always trying to get under our silky (Flo).
80800_img_3158.jpg

I don't see any Pointed Feathers so I'm sure they are both pullets.
smile.png

Oh and can you get some pictures of your coops/pens? They look very interesting!

Last edited by a moderator:
I say you have 2 pullets. I have a pair of blues and you can tell the difference and they are about the same age as yours.

Going by the round shape of the feathers and the fact that they are both feathered in as much as each other and not looking at all red and comby, I'd guess pullets.

I am completely new at this though. Keep us posted as to when they start laying
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom