General question about when to permanently dry off milking goats

goats-n-oats

Songster
Feb 10, 2022
Hi, I was planning on milking 6 Alpine does this year for profit. However, two of the does, the oldest, have had recurring, serious mastitis, and one of each of their teats is now smaller and permanently compromised. I suspect this might be due to poor barn hygiene and just not knowing what to look for until it was too late. It seems like they might be suffering with all the antibiotic injections and pain management from the mastitis. Would it be better to just permanently dry them off, and try using them for breeding, and no longer milk them? (and buy a couple new milking doelings)?

Its probably in the best interest of the does to not milk them and not even breed them. If your haveing trouble milking them on one side the babies will have trouble getting the milk out also.

Its probably in the best interest of the does to not milk them and not even breed them. If your haveing trouble milking them on one side the babies will have trouble getting the milk out also.
What age is generally considered to be the retirement age for Alpine does, for milking and breeding?

Google says 4 years for a doe but we don’t usually retire does until they’re 6-7 years, and really it just depends on if the doe can take care of the kids or how she looks after raising the kids.

Google says 4 years for a doe but we don’t usually retire does until they’re 6-7 years, and really it just depends on if the doe can take care of the kids or how she looks after raising the kids.
Google is nuts. I had does in my dairy that were productive at eight years or even more.

Hi, I was planning on milking 6 Alpine does this year for profit. However, two of the does, the oldest, have had recurring, serious mastitis, and one of each of their teats is now smaller and permanently compromised. I suspect this might be due to poor barn hygiene and just not knowing what to look for until it was too late. It seems like they might be suffering with all the antibiotic injections and pain management from the mastitis. Would it be better to just permanently dry them off, and try using them for breeding, and no longer milk them? (and buy a couple new milking doelings)?
IF these are superior does that you want kids out of you can have the udders amputated.

Is there any economic value to keeping them past their reproductive years? I guess mowing brush?

I think the problem is barn sanitation. Her teats almost touch the ground.
If that is the case the problem is primarily one of poor udder conformation rather than barn sanitation, or lack of it. Udders like that are prone to injury and/or infection no matter what. Plus, they are a nightmare to milk.

Back
Top Bottom