General question about when to permanently dry off milking goats

Is there any economic value to keeping them past their reproductive years? I guess mowing brush?
Only if they are exceptional animals. I used to buy wonderful well-bred high producing show does that were past their prime. That way I could get outstanding kids that otherwise I could never afford to buy. Old does would probably not do well as brush goats because their teeth may be worn down.

If she were mine, I would retire her rather than breeding her again. Udder suspension is a genetic trait. In dairy cattle, there are pretty good records to use in selecting a sire to improve that trait but I don't think such records are much available in goats.

I sympathize.

In case it can help anyone: For the mastitis, do you strip (meaning hand milk a few streams) onto something that lets you see if there are any clumps in the milk? That would at least let you treat it as soon as possible. Sending a sample in to see which type it is will also help with treatment and decisions. It is best to milk the affected goats last, especially when the mastitis is active but all the time can help manage it.

If she were mine, I would retire her rather than breeding her again. Udder suspension is a genetic trait. In dairy cattle, there are pretty good records to use in selecting a sire to improve that trait but I don't think such records are much available in goats.
agree, it also genetuc in goats

I sympathize.

In case it can help anyone: For the mastitis, do you strip (meaning hand milk a few streams) onto something that lets you see if there are any clumps in the milk? That would at least let you treat it as soon as possible. Sending a sample in to see which type it is will also help with treatment and decisions. It is best to milk the affected goats last, especially when the mastitis is active but all the time can help manageit

I sympathize.

In case it can help anyone: For the mastitis, do you strip (meaning hand milk a few streams) onto something that lets you see if there are any clumps in the milk? That would at least let you treat it as soon as possible. Sending a sample in to see which type it is will also help with treatment and decisions. It is best to milk the affected goats last, especially when the mastitis is active but all the time can help manage it.
It's been a learning process for me. The first two years I didn't milk nor recognize they had mastitis until their udders we're permanently damaged. Now I am straining the milk after milking, to see any clumps, and also letting some sit in the fridge for 24-48 hours (blood will visibly settle at the sides and bottom). I think my big problem is not spending enough time on barn sanitation.

Only if they are exceptional animals. I used to buy wonderful well-bred high producing show does that were past their prime. That way I could get outstanding kids that otherwise I could never afford to buy. Old does would probably not do well as brush goats because their teeth may be worn down.
Where does one buy such does?

Where does one buy such does?
I bought mine from a large commercial dairy that showed a lot. Try contacting breeders that have very good animals and tell them you want to buy a brood doe. You do want to make sure such a doe is sound and healthy and is in good breeding condition. A lot of times breeders will have older does that no longer fit in their breeding program or show string that they are willing to part with. Just ask around at shows. Some people will brush you off, but others will be helpful. While they may not have anything suitable, they may know someone who does. I don't know what else to tell you. It has been many years since I had goats so I can't help you myself, but I am sure you can find others who will. Where are you located? If you are near California I may know someone who might be able to help.

I bought mine from a large commercial dairy that showed a lot. Try contacting breeders that have very good animals and tell them you want to buy a brood doe. You do want to make sure such a doe is sound and healthy and is in good breeding condition. A lot of times breeders will have older does that no longer fit in their breeding program or show string that they are willing to part with. Just ask around at shows. Some people will brush you off, but others will be helpful. While they may not have anything suitable, they may know someone who does. I don't know what else to tell you. It has been many years since I had goats so I can't help you myself, but I am sure you can find others who will. Where are you located? If you are near California I may know someone who might be able to help.
Thanks @cassie for all the ideas. I'm not looking to buy this season but was interested in more info while the thread was active.

Back
Top Bottom