Genesis 1588 Problems -- Math and Logic People Might Be Useful Here!

my sunwolf

Songster
7 Years
Apr 22, 2012
Southwest Virginia
My Coop
My Coop
Why did I think that the Genesis 1588 was a forced air incubator? Hm. Now I feel stupid. But here's my problem...

My last hatches with the thermostat set at 99.9˚F have been too hot and have shown all the signs of being too hot. I finally purchased a Brinsea spot-check thermometer to double check my cheap calibrated thermometers...

Turns out the thermostat that came with the incubator is correct. Sometimes.

Right under the thermostat, the temp is often correct. However, approaching the edges of the incubator, the temperature goes up 1-2˚F from the set temperature. Sometimes, the thermometer on the incubator reads lower than the actual temperature by up to 1˚F.

Obviously this is a recipe for cooked eggs. And not the delicious kind.

I have set my eggs all underneath the thermostat in the hopes of keeping them from baking.

With the incubator set to 99.1˚F, the thermostat on the incubator reads between 98.6˚F and 99.2˚F. The actual temperature is sometimes 99.3˚F to 99.9˚F right under the thermostat and 100.3˚F to 101.2˚F at the corners, if the thermostat is reading incorrectly. If it is reading correctly, the temperature is 98.6˚F to 99.2˚F right under the thermostat and 99.6˚F to 100.2˚F at the corners.

This is all being read with the spot check. Now I'm worried that my spot check is wrong!

My question is this: what should I set the incubator thermostat to? Should I buy even more thermometers?

I use three thermostats and 1 combo with hydrometer. I also called the company and they reset the manufacturer settings over the phone. My brand new 1588 was way off in temp. I'm almost regretting the purchase. Ill let you know next week if this batch hatches. I also bought a brinsea mini advance which is much easier. I read so many great reviews that's why I purchased the genesis.

Back
Top Bottom