Genetics of call colors question! HELP

missred871

Eggxhausted Momma
9 Years
May 5, 2010
Perry GA
So I ordered some eggs from a well known seller on Ebay. They were all magpie calls and all marked as such. However the first one that hatched..... came out white.... now I know it is possible to get throw backs and blah blah lol. What I want to know is, should I consider it a white call or should I consider it a magpie carrier? I know nothing about breeding for colors so let me know what you think and anyone with knowledge about it is MORE THAN WELCOME to tell me the answers LOL

By the way the second hatched this morning and it IS a magpie, still 4 to go

Well I suck at genetic calculators... but here is what I got from it

Female
M+M+ Li+Li+ EE bl+bl+ C+C+ B+B+ RR D+- Bu+-
Gender = Female, Ratio = 1/2 = 50%, minimum of animals to breed: 2
zwart eenkleurig eksterbont | black self magpied

Male
M+M+ Li+Li+ EE bl+bl+ C+C+ B+B+ RR D+D+ Bu+Bu+
Gender = Male, Ratio = 1/2 = 50%, minimum of animals to breed: 2
zwart eenkleurig eksterbont | black self magpied

so what the heck does it mean?!

lol

(thanks for the calculator and
welcome-byc.gif
)

How old are the babies now? Did the seller mention whether or not there were any blues or silvers involved? Could be you're seeing a silver, which is so light that it often appears white.

Otherwise, could be white if both parents were carriers of a recessive white gene.

Last edited:
White covers up patterns. If you want to figure out what the white is covering you breed white to a grey (wild-type) and anything you get in the first generation will be what the white is hiding. This is why when you breed Pekins to Rouen/Mallards you often Swedish-looking (meaning bibbed) birds from that cross. I would save the bird personally and leave it in with magpie Calls. Our best patterned Magpies and Bibbed Calls came from a magpie drake bred to a white hen that we had shown for a couple of years and lost her mate, and added her to our Magpie breeding pen. They had the nice type from the whites, but the color from the magpies.

Quote:
For white birds usually, "what you see is what you get"! If your duckling is in fact white (no colour) due to c/c & not diluted colour then it should be pure for white, both genetically & phenotypically, & therefore considered a White Call! All white birds retain colour/pattern but it is hidden (inhibited) by white (c/c). As an example, the original White Campbells were as I understand bred as sports from the early Khaki. Even though these whites would still have had the same (generally) colour/pattern genes as parents, they were phenotypically white as result of c/c, & called "White Campbells", not Khaki'!

Having said the above, you may have some idea of the possible hidden colour/pattern genes your White Call (if it is so) could be carrying. I say may, possible, & could, because of the many potential variables involved
wink.png

Quote:
I am so glad you said that, because it does sort of look like there is a pattern however the color between the yellows isnt very different I thought it was just my eyes.... maybe it is a silver... hmmmm....

Thanks for all the answers guys BIG HELP!
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom