What color will this little one be?

Always a good idea I keep my mama and ducklings separated from my flock too but where everyone can see each other, She can still start training even in small quarters. lol
Mine get to stay inside the coop with mama for their first week and she just chills out and lets her ducklings have the run of the place.
That's basically what I'm doing as well. They can see everything going on and are around all the whole flock, look but don't touch haha

My broody just hatched her clutch and I’m wondering what this one will look like. They are barnyard mixes mostly. (The one in question is the one with faint eye stripes - not the magpie marked one)
My drakes:
Black magpie or fawn/white runner
(Guessing it’s the f/w runner as the father)

Females:
Guessing either mallard egg, f/w runner egg, or welshie egg.
My other hens are magpie, Pekin, white layer, Cayuga, blue swedish.
I’ve been playing with the duck genetics calculator so that’s how I’ve narrowed it down to my likely possible parents. But I’m not sure what the lilac, dusky, etc colors look like so does anyone have any ideas and what it might look like grown up?

View attachment 3493183
To me, that looks like the blue gene dilution on a mallard pattern. I have had a few hatch that looked like that and also some that were an even lighter shade, so I think it was a double blue dilution on those. I only kept a couple of the lighter ones so I don't know how the others looked when they were grown. So my guess is they would look similar to a darker shade of this:

IMG_20230130_160710_030.jpg

They are adorable ducklings ❤️.

To me, that looks like the blue gene dilution on a mallard pattern. I have had a few hatch that looked like that and also some that were an even lighter shade, so I think it was a double blue dilution on those. I only kept a couple of the lighter ones so I don't know how the others looked when they were grown. So my guess is they would look similar to a darker shade of this:

View attachment 3493732

They are adorable ducklings ❤️.
Awesome thanks so much. That's kind of what I was thinking but really wasn't sure what to expect.

Your Ducklings are sooooo precious!!! I have 4 with my Momma Mallard that were born this week. One is a Hinnie with a Mother Muscovy and a Call Duck Dad so it will be quite interesting to see how it turns out. I will keep all 4 until they are completely feathered to see if any are females and then I will rehome any drakes. Hopefully the Hinnie is a female as I would love to keep it. Good luck with yours. I love Ducklings!!!

My broody just hatched her clutch and I’m wondering what this one will look like. They are barnyard mixes mostly. (The one in question is the one with faint eye stripes - not the magpie marked one)
My drakes:
Black magpie or fawn/white runner
(Guessing it’s the f/w runner as the father)

Females:
Guessing either mallard egg, f/w runner egg, or welshie egg.
My other hens are magpie, Pekin, white layer, Cayuga, blue swedish.
I’ve been playing with the duck genetics calculator so that’s how I’ve narrowed it down to my likely possible parents. But I’m not sure what the lilac, dusky, etc colors look like so does anyone have any ideas and what it might look like grown up?

View attachment 3493183
id say fawn and white drake with mallard hen. we have two babies that look almost exactly like that from fawn and white dad and rouen mom!
IMG_6124.jpeg

as for what yours will look like as an adult, not completely sure. should have some mallard patterning but also some white interspersed if the runner pattern comes through. some of the blue dilution genes from the runner also are going to be visible, so lighter, pastelish colors. definitely going to be gorgeous!

id say fawn and white drake with mallard hen. we have two babies that look almost exactly like that from fawn and white dad and rouen mom!View attachment 3702066
as for what yours will look like as an adult, not completely sure. should have some mallard patterning but also some white interspersed if the runner pattern comes through. some of the blue dilution genes from the runner also are going to be visible, so lighter, pastelish colors. definitely going to be gorgeous!
What a beautiful assortment you have there. I had a Runner that looked like just a regular Mallard Runner but turned out to be a Dusty one and is beautiful. You will have to post a picture of these little beauties when they are all feathered out so we can see how they turned out.

Back
Top Bottom