Genetics of Chicken Colours, The Basics - Sigrid van Dort

n8ivetxn

Crowing
12 Years
Nov 15, 2011
Elma, Washington
Hi there,

I'm making a Christmas list and I'm reviewing some genetics books..... I have the SOP on the list and the Brian Reeder books too, but does anybody have this one? The contact name, on her website, for U.S.. customers is Jerry Schexnayer. Is he on BYC, by any chance?

I'm not scientifically minded and I don't know squat about chicken genetics, so I'm looking at books for a beginner.

Yeah, I know you can only get it from chickencolours.com ..... at least, I hope you can still get it! I'm really not sure if it's available? I'm just not sure if the U.S. contact, Jerry Schexnayer, is correct....It says to email him to buy a copy....sort of odd, I've never bought books like that before
hu.gif

Thanks for the info, it's reassuring that you had a nice phone conversation with her
smile.png

Yeah, I know you can only get it from chickencolours.com ..... at least, I hope you can still get it! I'm really not sure if it's available? I'm just not sure if the U.S. contact, Jerry Schexnayer, is correct....It says to email him to buy a copy....sort of odd, I've never bought books like that before
hu.gif

Thanks for the info, it's reassuring that you had a nice phone conversation with her
smile.png
I ordered my copy through him a while back. You'll have to email him to see if he has any copies available. Here is his website

http://jerrysseramasllc.weebly.com/

hu.gif

smile.png
She said it was written to make genetics easier to understand for the majority of us. We talked primarily about black vs. white and she suggested that white isn't a color but an absence of color.
We also talked about her other book, Extremes. I wanted to know if anything about earlobe and egg color was in it. There wasn't much.

I ordered my copy through him a while back. You'll have to email him to see if he has any copies available. Here is his website

Thanks for that.
My amazon gift cards will be useless for this book.
hit.gif

Thank you! I'll check it out.....

She said it was written to make genetics easier to understand for the majority of us. We talked primarily about black vs. white and she suggested that white isn't a color but an absence of color.
We also talked about her other book, Extremes. I wanted to know if anything about earlobe and egg color was in it. There wasn't much.

Thanks for that.
My amazon gift cards will be useless for this book.
hit.gif

She's correct about white, and black is the presence of all color - I learned that in art school years ago
wink.png
.......Sorry about the gift cards, it would be helpful, these books aren't cheap!

She's correct about white, and black is the presence of all color - I learned that in art school years ago
wink.png
.......Sorry about the gift cards, it would be helpful, these books aren't cheap!
That is true from a pigment perspective because pigments absorb certain wavelengths and reflect the rest. So white can be thought of as reflecting all colors, while black reflects no colors. Only 2 base colors exist in chickens, red and black, all the others are dilutions or enhancements. For example, there is no real blue in chicken colors, just diluted black that is really a shade of gray, no one would confuse a blue Ameraucana for an Eastern Bluebird. That in no way detracts from the beauty of a nicely laced blue Am or lavender Am.

There is also irridescence, which is not a pigment because it doesn't absorb but reflects and refracts. I have seen real greens and purples refracted from the feathers of black birds, pure colors I usually associate with peacocks.

Hi there,

I'm making a Christmas list and I'm reviewing some genetics books..... I have the SOP on the list and the Brian Reeder books too, but does anybody have this one? The contact name, on her website, for U.S.. customers is Jerry Schexnayer. Is he on BYC, by any chance?

I'm not scientifically minded and I don't know squat about chicken genetics, so I'm looking at books for a beginner.
try these sites before you get a book. An old high school book and chapter on genetics would be a good start on the language of mendelian genetics. Then apply the information on some sites and that would be a very good start.

You are going to have to put in some time- genetics has its own language- once you learn the language it becomes much easier to understand. I taught genetics for 25 years- so I do know something about the subject.

this is a good place to get started http://kippenjungle.nl/basisEN.htm

then get into more detail- http://kippenjungle.nl/basisEN.htm and or http://sellers.kippenjungle.nl/page0.html

If you are having problems with something- post a question- if you do not understand a concept-that means there are others that have the same question

get a composition book and take notes- then you can use it as a reference

Last edited:
Thank you all so much..... I think this thread got moved and I just relocated it!

I will have to learn a new language!..... I read some of the Kippenjungle stuff... I do have some preliminary questions...

I'm starting a small flock of Araucanas. There are only 5 APA approved colors for LF Araucanas. There is a lot of color variety in the birds.

- Who decides on these "approved" colors?

- Most of the colors should have willow colored legs. How was that decision made?

...... I'll definitely get a notebook and make some notes

Back
Top Bottom