Genetics of Chicken Colours, The Basics - Sigrid van Dort

Decisions on feather color, leg color, etc is made by the group of breeders that worked on the breed to get it accepted by the APA... this requires many years of breeding and working together for a breed to be accepted and once accepted, the APA does not change things...

Ok, so it operates the same way as the sheep organization that I board....the big difference being that there's so much more variety in chickens!

A few years ago, I had Salmon Favs, and there was discussion here about how a lot of birds had split wing, and whether or not it should be considered a normal trait and not something to be selected against.... would this also work the same way as leg color, etc, with the APA?- Meaning, breeders would decide its acceptable and then pass that decision to the APA...

Not sure exactly what you're asking... split wing is a defect in any breed...

As for leg color and other specific breed traits, those are decided when the group of breeders discuss it before the breed is accepted by the APA... a proposed standard is written up and submitted to the APA for approval... once the petition is approved, then the breed must be shown at approved meets in specific numbers within a specific timeframe... once the breed is accepted by the APA, any changes to a breeds standard must be requested through the APA... but really, the APA doesn't make changes... different varieties of a breed may be added going through the whole process once again, but the basic rules of that breed must be followed... like skin color, shank color, ear lobe color, tufts, beard/muffs, comb type, body type, size, etc...

I've been stocking my library with some pretty pricey poultry text books.
Here's a list of some you may like. I have some from the publisher CABI

http://www.contextbookshop.com/books/view_books.php?bookcat=3

http://www.cabi.org/about-cabi/

oh wow, chickencanoe, these are some really exciting titles! Thank you! Have you read any of the "signals" books? I have been circling around them. I have been studying about a lot of these topics at the "All About Feed" and "World Poultry" online ezines.
Thanks,
Karen

Not sure exactly what you're asking... split wing is a defect in any breed...

As for leg color and other specific breed traits, those are decided when the group of breeders discuss it before the breed is accepted by the APA... a proposed standard is written up and submitted to the APA for approval... once the petition is approved, then the breed must be shown at approved meets in specific numbers within a specific timeframe... once the breed is accepted by the APA, any changes to a breeds standard must be requested through the APA... but really, the APA doesn't make changes... different varieties of a breed may be added going through the whole process once again, but the basic rules of that breed must be followed... like skin color, shank color, ear lobe color, tufts, beard/muffs, comb type, body type, size, etc...

Ok, thank you - that's what I wanted to know.... I have a lot to learn!
hide.gif

I got an email from Sigrid yesterday, she mailed my book and said it should arrive in about 2 weeks.... After my other half returns to work this week, I can sit down and read through some of the OEG forums you recommended and links from ChickenCanoe.

2 of the chicks from George are looking like really cute Lavs, which wasn't big on my list, but these look good.
love.gif

Ok, thank you - that's what I wanted to know.... I have a lot to learn! :oops:

I got an email from Sigrid yesterday, she mailed my book and said it should arrive in about 2 weeks.... After my other half returns to work this week, I can sit down and read through some of the OEG forums you recommended and links from ChickenCanoe.

2 of the chicks from George are looking like really cute Lavs, which wasn't big on my list, but these look good. :love

Gotta ask to learn! :D

All good, I just wasn't comprehending the question well, lol... there's a lot more involved than what I posted, I just tried to make it shortened though...

But once a breed is accepted by the APA, that's what we go by... and any new varieties (colors) that are worked on need to fit the basic category as well... like leg color can't be changed for the most part... whites and light color like Red Pyle will need to stay within the white parameters, like yellow legs... dark colors need to stay with the willow legs to black, if it's a black base...

And of course sizes, types, tufts, rumpless must all be bred to the same for the breed...

Make sense?

I forget, did you get the APA SOP book? That will help you tremendously for guidelines...

I don't have any books yet, but the SOP will definitely be on the list too.... I was just worried I might do better to start with something less "technical," at least until I can learn the language...

I'm really excited to get into the nuts and bolts of this breed....

It would be awesome if I could take some to the fair with the sheep next year
big_smile.png

I'd put it at the top of the list, it's not as technical as you fear... plus the 1st 40 pages gives a lot of good info and pics on what not to breed in all breeds...

Besides, it's kinda hard to breed towards SOP without the guidelines... :D ;)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom