Genetics Professor looking for Albino Chicken Feathers

Here is what F.B. Hutt, author of Genetics of the Fowl has to say on albinism in chickens and turkeys.
E6B6DF30-689D-4DAE-879D-4FFDF3118A7C.jpeg
51AA0062-F247-409E-AE4C-EA496949F6F0.jpeg
1F00DB8D-3D4E-4FFB-A9B0-73EAE693D9F6.jpeg
BA498EB2-06AE-4414-86B8-76471BE18D12.jpeg

Here is what F.B. Hutt, author of Genetics of the Fowl has to say on albinism in chickens and turkeys. View attachment 1957209View attachment 1957213 View attachment 1957210View attachment 1957211
Yes, I know, thanks for sharing.
Split sex-linked Albinism is the imperfect form of Albinism that will result in some pigments of color to leak through behaving in a similar manner as Dominate White.
Let's just wait until this professor runs a genetic test on my feathers, & see who's correct?

Hi Chicken Enthusiasts,

My name is Rod Scott and I'm a Biology Prof who does research with DNA. I have learned that some albino chickens have a very interesting change to the DNA that can be easily studied using genetics techniques that are now available in most undergrad biology labs. I'd like to try to develop a new teaching lab activity using feathers from albino chickens (and their parents and normal siblings if possible), but I don't have access to the feathers I need. Can anyone reading this post help me figure out where to get some feathers like this? If so, please contact me directly at [email protected]

I'll be very grateful for any help you can provide.

Thanks,
Rod

Albinoism is relatively rare in chickens, I think (I've never seen one, and I go to chicken auctions for fun. I have seen two albino ducks, and a turkey.) A brief search of BYC seems to show more results with quail than with anything else. Do you think this study could be done with quail?

I used to have a hen who people thought was albino. Her name was Chenoa and she was a Douglas White. (Douglas White's are a breed that I bred myself) She had white feathers and white legs. I rehomed her this spring for she was three years old, so I no longer have her. I do have one of her feathers, but I dyed it to a different color and it is now attached to a necklace.
Why are you so interested in albino chickens? I have an interest in blue eyed chickens. I currently have a Silver Duckwing Old English Game bantam rooster that is mottled with blue eyes. He might have albino in him? He has grown a lot of white feathers in places that should be black.

Back
Top Bottom