Georgia Here Too !!!!!

Hi Rooster Red and thanks for the warm welcome. You being a neighbor and all, do you know where I might find Pekin ducklings? I looked at your page and I have to say, those possum look pretty fierce!

cumming georgia right here 30 minutes north of atlanta...live on a forty acre cow farm....but have patures rented all through the county...have about 400 cows...but my dad does the cows i enjoy my chickens the most

Last edited:
Hi. I'm in Carrollton, GA and looking to buy a couple of pullets. I'm getting a couple of goats and thought chickens might be nice for insect control and, of course, eggs. I'd really like buy a couple of Ameraucanas or Brahmas. Anyone know of a nearby farm. I don't mind driving a few hours, but I'd rather not order birds from half way across the country. It seems like that would defeat the whole purpose of trying to eat locally. Thanks.

I am in Holly Springs. Between Woodstock and Canton. I raise Old English and Moderns. I have Brassy Back, Blue Brassy Back, BB Red, Blue Red, Black, White, Pearl, Brown Red, Self Blue, Blue Gold Duckwing and Blue Wheaten in Old English Game Bantams. Silver Ginger Fawn, Silver Blue, Brown Red and Lemon Blue Modern Bantams.

Thanks Hooper. I'm new to all this, so bear with me. Do any of the Bantams you listed lay anything close to a regular sized egg? Also, concerning size, I have some pretty big cats (one stands nearly three foot tall on his hind legs). How big can a Bantam make himself when agitated? My cats aren't any more aggressive than any other cat, but they're still cats. Anyone else with input regarding cats and chickens of any sort, please drop some advice on me.

I have several cats, one in particular is very big and goes out to hunt no matter how well he is fed.

He regularly brings home rabbits, squirrels, chipmunks, birds and snakes.

He mingles with my chickens when free ranging and has never tried to go after one.

An average 6 pound standard hen would flog a cat to the point that the cat would never bother chickens again.

The Moderns lay a bigger egg than the Old English. But not close to a large egg. If you use them for cooking, use three bantam eggs for every two big eggs.
As far as cats I do not, nor have I ever owned a cat. for the most part I don't think a bantam would atand a chance against a large cat.

Back
Top Bottom