Geting and Raising Chicks

I would say if you are looking for a productive bird silkies are not the way to go. They are a cute pet but since they go broody so often you won't get many eggs from them a year like you do with the Jersey Giant and Australorp.
I want the silkie to raise chicks ( quail and chicken chicks) and I would like the silkie as a pets.

My Ameraucanas are still laying every other day at 2 years. I think they are a good hearty bird. Not high production, but steady.

I like Jersey Giants!

I have had issues in my flock with silkies being attacked by other breeds because of their crests and their submissive personalities. Personally I would not mix silkies with a more assertive breed like australorps.

If you are looking for good broodies I have had a lot of success with bantam Orpingtons.

Last edited:
There are plenty of LF birds that make good broodies. Having a little bantam (especially one that stands out with a perpetual bad hair day. Chickens are predjudiced, and I've noted that they will pick on the "odd ball".) among a flock of LF may end up in her being bullied by all the rest of the flock.

I have had issues in my flock with silkies being attacked by other breeds because of their crests and their submissive personalities. Personally I would not mix silkies with a more assertive breed like australorps. 

If you are looking for good broodies I have had a lot of success with bantam Orpingtons.

Will definitely keep that in mind.If my silkie is being atacked I will just move her into the feed shed and she can have free rien in there. In the winter the rabbit hitch goes in the shed so she will have company. Also if she gets lonely in the shed I could get other silkie to keep her company.

Will definitely keep that in mind.If my silkie is being atacked I will just move her into the feed shed and she can have free rien in there. In the winter the rabbit hitch goes in the shed so she will have company. Also if she gets lonely in the shed I could get other silkie to keep her company.

She'll be very lonely by herself, so if you are definitely getting a silkie I would go ahead and get 2 or 3 at the start, so she will have buddies. (This is how chicken math happens).
wink.png

She'll be very lonely by herself, so if you are definitely getting a silkie I would go ahead and get 2 or 3 at the start, so she will have buddies. (This is how chicken math happens).
wink.png
Did this, stated wanting only 2 silkies then decided on 3 plus got a free peanut packer with a total of 4 silkies now. Next year I am getting 3 more because I really want a blue, a black, and a partridge. Might get a blue partridge too just for fun. Currently have 2 buffs, a white, and a splash. I LOVE them and they are from a wonderful local breeder.

Honestly I haven't decided wether I'm going to cull the birds or let them live out there days. I'm not picking any production breeds. I'm think I'm going to get a jersey giant, an australorp, an amaracuna and a silkie. I should probably mention that I don't know wether I'm going to get a jersey giant hen or rooster yet.Thanks for the advice and opinions.

You sound like me! I have silkies, Easter eggers and jersey giants. I also have too many chickens to count. I can name them all - but I haven't counted them!! I love silkie eggs. They are just the perfect size in my opinion. My easter eggers started laying around 7/8 months of age? My silkies might have been older. Jersey giants haven't started laying yet. One is a lonely number - 3-4 to start with is great. My chicks stay warm with a heat lamp. We built a brooder - a giant box. They stay in until they fly out! Easter eggers and jersey giants decided to fly out at about a month. Then they got moved to a fenced outside run, still with a heat lamp and their own coop for sleeping. Once they are big enough (not hawk bait) they go free roaming. Except my silkies, they have a fenced pen as adults. They stay inside longer because they are so small and can't control their body temperature as well. And I say that - but we do have my silkie hen raising 9 silkie chicks outside - but I figured she knows what she's doing.

Back
Top Bottom