Getting a puppy... Need opinions! Boy or girl??

Iowa Roo Mom

Resistance Is Futile
11 Years
Apr 30, 2009
Keokuk County
So Chris and I are going out tonight to get a puppy, they're Jack Russle/Welsh Corgi cross, 8 weeks old... what I was wondering is, should we get a boy or a girl? I've only had male dogs in the past and I have had good luck. Does anyone have any opinions on which we should go with and why? It WILL BE nutered or spayed, so that is not an issue...

Any opinions will be appreciated!!!

I personally have found females to be better pets. They tend to be more affectionate and "mothering" when older.

All things being equal I prefer females. They tend to wander off less, listen better and are easier to train.
Having said that my best obedience dog was an intact male collie (the one in my avatar). Not that he was an easy dog to work with but I knew that going in based on how hard headed his mother and grandmother were. And the current 'alpha' dog in the household is a female who is also the smallest and the oldest of the five dogs (two males and three females).

I personally like male dogs, but yes, females can be sweet, and less prone to distraction, since they're not usually looking to mark out their territory or assert their dominance on other dogs. Some are also more gentle. However, with a mix like a JRT/Corgi, that pup is going to be a ball of fire, regardless of gender! I have a JRT/Sheltie/Corgi mix, and he loves to bark, chase chickens, attack cars, chase ATVs, bark, act all tough around other dogs, bark, play tug-o-war and bite, and oh, did I mention bark?
(Actually he's much better now that he is 7years old, but he still loves to ''talk'')

Better keep that pup busy with lots of exercise and play, and training. He'll be an awesome dog if well-balanced!

Good luck with your pup,

MiniC

Pick based on personality, not sex :). Check for submission by holding the pup upside down (belly up, like a human baby in your arms). Super submissive dogs will lay like that all day, medium will allow it for awhile then flip back over, and the most high strung dominant dogs will not allow themselves to be put into a belly up position at all and will flail around like crazy.
If you have 2 pups with the same energy level, then you can decide based on sex (and I tend to prefer males, contrary to everyone else so far! Lol)
Good luck!

Pick based on personality, not sex
smile.png
. Check for submission by holding the pup upside down (belly up, like a human baby in your arms). Super submissive dogs will lay like that all day, medium will allow it for awhile then flip back over, and the most high strung dominant dogs will not allow themselves to be put into a belly up position at all and will flail around like crazy.
If you have 2 pups with the same energy level, then you can decide based on sex (and I tend to prefer males, contrary to everyone else so far! Lol)
Good luck!

goodpost.gif
I agree!

personality unless there is a specific reason you NEED a certain gender. you want a pup that will fit in with you and your family. :)

Do a google search for temperament tests for dogs and talk to the breeder about the personalities of the different pups.

That said, give me the boys! :) And peeing on the curtains isn't a "boy" thing, it's a training issue. I've always owned males and have never had a single one mark in the house.

I have owned and then bred labs for over 30 years! I agree to go with temperament, but I would pick a male over a female any day !!!

I would go with the personality as the deciding factor, but personally I do like female dogs (as long as they are fixed, annoying to have a female in season in your house and who needs a bunch of puppies with all the unwanted dogs in the world)

Back
Top Bottom