getting a resistive duck into the coop

RebinNH

Songster
Jun 15, 2022
Hi! I just got a 8 month old hen about a week or so ago (to replace my hen Luna who died in Nov. of an ear infection) and she (my flyer, who I named Piper) does not trust me and does not want to go into the coop in the evening. I have held off feeding them (I used to just wait for the others to go in on their own) to coax them all into the coop with dinner. The two I have had for 1.5 years go right in to get the last meal of the day but the new girl is waiting outside each night. It is an outer coop with a smaller coop inside with a door. What I have had to do is wait until the two "good" ducks (ha!) go into the smaller coop, let the door somewhat close behind them and then open the outer door for Piper, which by that time she is ready as she is most likely missing her friends/flock. That requires me waiting around (coming out again) until after dark, as the two don't go into the inner coop until then (which makes sense). It turns bedtime into an hour long event. Any suggestions, as food as an enticement does not work and I really don't know anything else to do. I tried rounding her up with a magic wand but she freaks and literally flys over my head (hence Piper).
Rebecca

Make it so the only way she can go is towards the coop door. Put up some fencing, or some other barrier, outside the coop to act as a funnel towards the door. I did this with my old duck coop, I did it to teach my ducks to walk up the stairs, and also did it recently to guide my alpacas into a smaller corral, and hoo boy, is it easier than trying to chase them around.

Make it so the only way she can go is towards the coop door. Put up some fencing, or some other barrier, outside the coop to act as a funnel towards the door. I did this with my old duck coop, I did it to teach my ducks to walk up the stairs, and also did it recently to guide my alpacas into a smaller corral, and hoo boy, is it easier than trying to chase them around.
I have a funnel way of getting my ducks in, but not my chickens and I end up sitting around, waiting for them to go in every night. I’m having trouble figuring out how to create a funnel to make them go up a ramp that’s attached to their coop, which is, not inside of a run, but just standing alone in my yard.

I refuse to chase her. Because she flies so well and high, I just as soon let her stay outside, than run after her. I also believe if I do that, it will erode any trust she may develop. There is not a single treat she will come to. Does not care about mealy worms or peas. My other two love both and get peas each night for the niacin. By the time she comes around after dark (like in about 10 minutes) all of the peas have been eaten. The farmer I got her from says they like cracked corn but my two do not and I'm not going to buy a 40 pound bag as an experiment. They are free range all day, so corraling them is not an option. Besides like I said, she flies over my head, so would easily go over it unless is was taller than me.

I have a funnel way of getting my ducks in, but not my chickens and I end up sitting around, waiting for them to go in every night. I’m having trouble figuring out how to create a funnel to make them go up a ramp that’s attached to their coop, which is, not inside of a run, but just standing alone in my yard.
Why not try Hanzel and Grettle technique with what they like leading up the ramp. Usually if you get one going they follow suit. That is except for this new girl of mine! A real maverick she is!

If I'm understanding correctly she does come, just later than you wish her to.
Would you feel comfortable just waiting and going out later, so you don't have to spend as much time cooping ducks? If so maybe she would get a few peas when she comes, and once she gets a taste for them move the time up a bit.

I not sure if would help or not in the end. My daughter usually does evening chores, when I tried to get the ducks to come up before dark one evening because I needed to catch a drake we were selling, my daughter said they won't come up until it's dark. (She usually swings after other chores while she waits on the ducks) That night they came up before dark, but certainly not as soon as I fed and called.

I guess I would box in the ramp with fencing so they can’t go around it. You’d basically be treating the ramp as the “door.” Here’s a messy picture I drew 🤣 With the red being the coop, orange being the ramp, and green being the fencing.
IMG_4267.jpeg

It might just take some time like a couple months for her to get used to you and her new routine.
I refuse to chase her. Because she flies so well and high, I just as soon let her stay outside, than run after her. I also believe if I do that, it will erode any trust she may develop. There is not a single treat she will come to. Does not care about mealy worms or peas. My other two love both and get peas each night for the niacin. By the time she comes around after dark (like in about 10 minutes) all of the peas have been eaten. The farmer I got her from says they like cracked corn but my two do not and I'm not going to buy a 40 pound bag as an experiment. They are free range all day, so corraling them is not an option. Besides like I said, she flies over my head, so would easily go over it unless is was taller than me.

Back
Top Bottom