getting a resistive duck into the coop

I guess I would box in the ramp with fencing so they can’t go around it. You’d basically be treating the ramp as the “door.” Here’s a messy picture I drew 🤣 With the red being the coop, orange being the ramp, and green being the fencing.
View attachment 3774961
wow, that’s actually a very excellent picture! thanks!

I have had many a duck that won't go into the coop. Its a problem with newbies until they settle in and also as mine are all drakes, with bullying and a drake being afraid to go in. I also don't clip wings although none of my drakes has flown anything but down hill after their first year!!! They practice running up and down flapping their wings every morning!!

I endorse the funnel suggestions and the let the new duck go in in her own time.

I have a new set up with year as I got a new larger coop in January and had to remove shrubbery between it and the fence. I can now easily walk down by the fence whereas that use to be a favorite "let's hid from Mama" spot where the ducks knew I could not go. I use a folding temporary dog pen round the entrance to the coop when I have a newbie needing see but not touch. I have left the pen at the side of the pen, and now pull it out and block off the side of the coop towards the house. Now the ducks go round the long way, down by the fence and mill around in front of the coop door until I go in and put their evening food and water in place. That is all except one. He has had a disagreement with my newbie and wont come in until its nearly dark. I let him be unless I have to go out, when I have to pick him up and take him inside. At dusk, I follow him round the long way to the coop door with the folding dog pen in place so that he cannot get cold feet and run off at the last moment. This behavior has only just started. He has his own roosting place inside [he is a muscovy] but has to run the gauntlet of beaks as he passes the other ducks to get to his roost. Once the flock dynamics change, he will go in with the others and perhaps another will start hiding outside!!!

Back
Top Bottom