Will my ducks be okay in this coop in negative temperatures?

woknrouen

Chirping
Oct 26, 2021
This weekend the temperatures in my area will be about negative 10 degrees. l am really worried about my ducks and if their coop is ok for this weather. Usually they free range and at night they go in the enclosed part of the coop with the door shut. When it's cold I keep them in the pen but I keep the inner coop door opened so they can have a warmer area. I put straw in both the coop and pen part with a thick layer especially in the enclosed part. The pen part is exposed to wind however. One side is covered because of the fence but I'm not sure if this is enough to keep them warm. Any suggestions?
20240111_214722.jpg

This weekend the temperatures in my area will be about negative 10 degrees. l am really worried about my ducks and if their coop is ok for this weather. Usually they free range and at night they go in the enclosed part of the coop with the door shut. When it's cold I keep them in the pen but I keep the inner coop door opened so they can have a warmer area. I put straw in both the coop and pen part with a thick layer especially in the enclosed part. The pen part is exposed to wind however. One side is covered because of the fence but I'm not sure if this is enough to keep them warm. Any suggestions?
View attachment 3724202
Is the top of the run covered? If not, it should be. Secondly, I would take some heavy plastic and cover the other two sides of the run all except for the top 1 foot or maybe just the door.
Do you have a couple of windows near the top of the little part they sleep in at night they definitely need the ventilation to allow the moisture to escape without the ventilation, their damp breath makes it colder in there due to the humidity they cause.
but to be honest with you, at those temperatures, I would bring my ducks into a warmer place. I have a room in my basement that has an exterior door a few small windows and no electric or heat but because it’s attached to my house and is built like a garage, but has insulation and is finished, it stays above freezing in there. My ducks are spoiled babies. I get them in there when we have tornado watches too. there are people on here with ducks in Canada, such as @New duck mommy 2021 who can give better advice

We're going down to 5* and just above for many days next week I have coop heaters set up for this.. But you need power for them to work. And with ventilation it still won't get real warm. But we don't want them really warm anyway. I agree having the sides covered with plastic will help just put it on the outside so they can chew on it. And make sure you have ventialtion inside for them so moisture can escape. Like @Jenbirdee said
Waterfowl are hardy so having a place where wind and rain or snow can't get in with heavy bedding down will probably be enough. Make sure there isn't anything with water in it that they could get into and the water freeze around them.

Back
Top Bottom