• Two Females

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Two Males

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • More than two Females

• A larger (than two) male / female ratio

Votes: 4 57.1%
  • Guineas Only (Brood Turkeys separately)

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • Guinea and Turkey brood mates

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • House grown Guineas and Turkeys togather

• Do not House grown Guineas and Turkeys together

• Do you love Guineas?

• Total voters

AGeese

Crowing
Jan 6, 2021
The Hawkeye State
So Guinea Fowl are a particular group of fowl that interest me, but of which I know a lot less about. Now I've used some of my chicken insight and gathered various thoughts and opinions online to form ideas on what type, what number, what sex, and in what combinations thereof, am currently rethinking everything based on discussions in the forum...

I understand that hatcheries have larger minimum orders for guineas, but I'm picking mine up so number won't be an issue. I believe some feel you should have a flock of guineas vs a pair. I want to start with a pair, and of these two I want French Giant hens for eggs and so as to avoid mating aggression and roving beyond the boundaries. I have six chickens now and hopefully three goslings arriving in May. The geese and chickens will be housed separately, but have access to the same pasture.

Some considerations:

1. They will free range (with the other breeds) on about an acre of pasture wooded primarily along the property line with interspersed trees throughout and a large clearing where a small pond will be. There are walnut trees so I'm planning to do some trimming back and placing nets around the their trunks to harvest and prevent any accidents with the birds.

2. I would like to brood the Guineas with Heritage Turkeys.

3. My breeds are:
  • 4 Buckeye (these are spirited, save the youngest who is at the bottom of the pecking order)
  • 2 Black Jersey Giant (these are dominate hens)
  • 2 Embden Hens
  • 1 Roman Gander
4. I am set on Chocolate Turkeys for the Guinea brood mates

Q. So when you got guineas how many did you get?
Q. What were their sexes?
Q. Which breeds?
Q. Why did you get Guineas?
Q. How did it all work out for you?

What would you recommend for the inexperienced guinea raiser?
Am I on the wrong course?

1. I don't remember the exact number I bought initially. It was somewhere in the mid-teens, I believe.
2. I don't remember exactly, I had a few more females than males, though.
3. French pearl
4. For tick control, and they did their job beautifully.
5. So far it's working out just fine. I have done things "wrong", like raised my guinea kits with my chickens. Apparently you're not supposed to do that because guinea fowl will bully other birds but I didn't know that at the time. Currently they're all housed with the chickens. The chickens and guineas free range and the only bullying I've ever seen is if they're in the coop in the morning before the pop door is open. Not ideal, but it's working out okay right now.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do! Guineas are very quirky and fun to watch.
Don't be offended if they're super freaked out by you. I've had mine for over a year now and they still think I want to eat them. 🤣

Isadora you have French Pearls! Thanks for the detail and encouragement! Did yours get to 7 lbs?
I haven't weighed them but I was handling them earlier today and my adults are definitely are in that range. I have a few juveniles who aren't full grown yet, so we'll see how large they get. 😁

That's great hope they tip the scales! 😄 well I don't recall if yours are pets or for meat or eggs, but mine will be mainly for predator awareness and bugs.

That's great hope they tip the scales! 😄 well I don't recall if yours are pets or for meat or eggs, but mine will be mainly for predator awareness and bugs.
Mine are just for bugs! 👍
We did eat one last year which had a slipped tendon that I was unsuccessful in treating. I don't think it was full grown though at that point so I just stuck it in the crock pot and made some broth out of it. Nice dark meat, though!

I do not recommend having fewer than 10 guineas. They are a flock bird and do best in large groups.

It often works best to have a couple more hens than cocks since not all male guineas will be satisfied with a single hen.

I do not recommend raising or housing guineas with any other poultry. Raising them with other poultry removes their ability to understand that the other poultry are not guineas. Only another guinea can understand guinea behaviors.

Other poultry do not understand the races and chases or the attacks from behind along with the feather pulling and breaking. It can be stressful for the other poultry.

I brood and house my guineas separately from the other poultry. Even when free ranging in the same area at the same time as my other poultry, my guineas keep to themselves and leave my other poultry alone.

I am getting them for the utility, but if could have a flock I would. I've heard it claimed the French Pearl's are pretty docile, not sure how much so with other species, but I have no desire to get males right away. So for starting with a pair I think it has to be females.

I am getting them for the utility, but if could have a flock I would. I've heard it claimed the French Pearl's are pretty docile, not sure how much so with other species, but I have no desire to get males right away. So for starting with a pair I think it has to be females.
The only way you can get sexed guineas is by buying adults. No one sells sexed keets.

If you get females only, be prepared to hear them constantly calling for a mate.

I recommend that you not get any rather than what you are planning.

Back
Top Bottom