Getting mixed up...deep litter

morning byc, I was wondering can you use straw in the same way as a deep layer instead of using shavings? Since my hubby built my new coop which is 10 ft x 9ft ish I have been putting down straw around 1 1/2 bales over the dirt floor, the coop is very warm inside for 7 chicken and 3 ducks, its spring here at the moment. I think i have just answered my only question lol!

Anyway, our biggest problem is the run, its not very big around 6 ft wide x 14 ft long, we put a small pool (when i say pool its a plastic raised bed for planets, but as size and space is an issue for me, at least its deep enough for then to do what ducks do) in one corner of the run for the ducks, at the moment the run is just dirt i was thinking of turfing the area for them put why waste money as they will only destroy the grass, what would be the best material for the run especially as the ducks in their pool is making the dirt floor yucky. I was thinking of putting the old straw out there when I replace the straw in the coop! Although, we have around 1/2 ton of ballest, basically builders sand mixed with hardcore left over from when we paved our front garden several years ago, when the girls free range we always find them digging in the ballest. We could take out the biggest pieces of hardcore and but whats left into the run. Would this help with the ducks and the yuck puddle they are creating? Any suggestion would be of great help. Julie x

I think your biggest challenge will be the water you have in your run. Ducks dont need water to swim in contrary to what we all believe. They do well without water and other then drinking dont need it to swim in. The water in my experience will cause constant problems with odor and mess. I keep my run pretty much bare. The reason I do it is the girls scratch everything they see through the screen on the walls and I end up with it outside the run. If your run has a roof ( to stay dry)and "kickboards" to prevent the chickens from scratching and ultimatly excavating whatever you put in for litter then you could do it. I am using pine shavings as a test in my coop after using wood pellets for the last 10 months. All Im did was rake, I never changed them and for 10 months they were stink free although near the end they were pretty dusty ( my only complaint using pellets ). Good luck and post whatever you do with results. I always learn from peoples experiences and try to add them to my own.......

Coos NH

Thanks coos NH for your advice,

We are going to cover the run because we have to to stop wild birds dropping getting into the run, as requested by defra on their website. We are also either going to move the pool and maybe get a smaller one for them or put it outside the run so the ducks can use it on the days when we are in the garden and they can free range, which i think would be a better idea. Regards Julie

I am newly working on the deep litter method with wood shavings and after three weeks am impressed. I have read on this site about some dusting that people use on it and cant find it now that I am looking..

What do people use for the dusting in between??

I think they use DE but I dont use anything. I never used anything with Pellets anyway, the pine shavings may prove to be different. I can already say after a month that I like the "dust free" part of the pine shavings but I dont like the fact that they blow around so easily. As a side note I also started addding Vinegar and Garlic to the water and the girls love it ! They also eat the Garlic chunks!

Hope we get summer soon........it was 26 last night !

Coos NH

Thanks Coos NH, I wont worry as I say after three weeks no problems and still very fluffy!! I have heard that the Garlic thing works well. I will have to try it. I know it works for mosquito repellent for dogs!!

It was pretty cold up here as well!! Hope that Mother Nature can decide between winter and spring!!

Is the vinegar and garlic supposed to do something to their poo or something that helps with the deep litter method? I'm going with the deep litter method too and could use any tips!

I'm lost! I article I have read suggest using DE as I have to keep the bugs at bay. But another article on BLM stated not to use it as it cuts down on the bugs that do something good for this process. So what gives? I like DE!

I also use de.i will stir up my pine shavings daily.i sprinkle de inside the coop and nest boxes.i also sprinkle de outside in the run to my girls are about 13 weeks old.i do the de sprinkle about 1 time a week.i have had my girls in coop since mid-april.so far so good.it is now 1st week in june.

Back
Top Bottom