Getting my dogs use to the chicks

Sammy Sam

Songster
Dec 8, 2023
I’ve had my chicks for 9 days, making them around 3 weeks old. I decided to get my dogs use to the chicks and this is his 3rd day seeing them. He is doing really well around them, most times he’ll lay there next to me and watch the chicks. The chicks are even calm and just doing their things, but with the occasional look at the dog.

Attachments

• IMG_0074.jpeg
    IMG_0074.jpeg
    540.8 KB · Views: 55
I’ve had my chicks for 9 days, making them around 3 weeks old. I decided to get my dogs use to the chicks and this is his 3rd day seeing them. He is doing really well around them, most times he’ll lay there next to me and watch the chicks. The chicks are even calm and just doing their things, but with the occasional look at the dog.
That’s how I introduced my chickens to the dog. Now that the chicks are bigger I can let my dog freely around them. I would do clicker training sessions with the dog in front of the chicks so she associates ignoring the chicks with treats.

So I just heard my dog barking like crazy at the back window. I went to check and there was a big Tom cat on top of the chicken coop trying to find a way in and eat my Marans. I let her out the back door and the little dog tore after that cat. I think she is doing a good job of protecting the birds. I rewarded her with some raw meat and bones.

Last edited:
So I just heard my dog barking like crazy at the back window. I went to check and there was a big Tom cat on top of the chicken coop trying to find a way in and eat my Marans. I let her out the back door and the little dog tore after that cat. I think she is doing a good job of protecting the birds. I rewarded her with some raw meat and bones.
That’s great! One thing about back yard hens, where I live, we can’t have a rooster and I worry about them not being protected. Glad your dog was able to help.

How is it going now? I want to see how my dog will be before I fully commit to getting chickens.

Looks like him use to the chicks!!

My bird dogs love my chickens! But any other birds are dead.
I wouldnt ever leave my youngest with the chickens, but my older pup is so gentle with them

There are many dog threads if you do a Forum search. Breed is important, success rates vary by breed and other factors like how much time you put into "Be nice to chicken," training. This is me training my Golden Retriever Grandpup last year and just started this young Leonberger yesterday. I put alot of time and patience into it and so far so good with all of my dogs (Golden, Leonberger, Newfoundland.)
IMG_4682.JPG

IMG_1437.JPG

There are many dog threads if you do a Forum search. Breed is important, success rates vary by breed and other factors like how much time you put into "Be nice to chicken," training. This is me training my Golden Retriever Grandpup last year and just started this young Leonberger yesterday. I put alot of time and patience into it and so far so good with all of my dogs (Golden, Leonberger, Newfoundland.)
View attachment 3758833
View attachment 3758834
Ive seen many bird dogs be trained to be around chickens. Including my Goldens.
Ive met spainels that were around chickens. I think it most matters on the socializing with the chickens(the being around chickens, and knowing i cant eat them)

Back
Top Bottom