Getting our first goats

Thank you everyone for all the info. a couple of other questions, when you say a good grass hay, would Bermuda grass hay be an option? We keep it in our chickens nesting boxes. If not, other than alfalfa, what do you recommend? It's good to know about the sweet feed only in the winter. Since that is what the breeder has been feeding her goats would it be a good idea to buy some and mix it in with another feed strictly for goats or may an all stock feed?

Is there a special kind of baking soda I need to get or just a box like you buy at the grocery store? Should I mix it in something or just leave a bowl of it out?

Just regular old baking soda. Mine eat more minerals in the winter while eating hay and more baking soda while on pasture in the summer. It helps keep their stomach from becoming too acidic.

I think I've heard Timothy hay is good and usually recommended. Bermuda I think can be too rich like Alfalfa but could be wrong. I too am considering goats

With them being that young, I'd recommend coccidiosis prevention. Them lil buggers are very prone to parasites. That is the biggest reason I lost lil ones when we first started raising them.
We feed 16% goat ration, hay, loose minerals, baking soda free choice, and a handful of black oil sunflower seeds. We've been raising nigerians for 7 years.
I'd also recommend worming about every 8 weeks. Just check the color of their gums. If they are white or pale pink, it's time to worm.

Back
Top Bottom