Getting ready for first eggs

Quail_

Chirping
Apr 8, 2023
My chickens are getting older and one should lay her first egg very soon. But im realizing there isnt much information (or information i cant understand atleast) that explains what i need and should do.

I know we need nesting boxes, unfortunately my coop didnt come with pre made ones so i need to go make some, but i dont know what i should use as materials for nesting, id hate for my chicken to rip out her own feathers to make her nest. But they keep kicking their saw dust off and they all snuggle together at night still.

I also dont exactly know what to do if my chicken gets egg bound, ive seen Epson salt baths but i think thats just for bumble food. Anything helps me!

Cut down milk crates or buckets seem to be popular choices for quick, easy, and cheap. The chicken will lay her egg with or without a box. Nesting boxes are there to encourage her to lay it in a place that is easy for you to collect them later. They like small dark places so they can feel hidden from potential predators.

Fake eggs also help encourage them to lay where you want because chickens like to lay in a community nest. They feel like if another chicken already laid in that place it must be a good place for her to lay her egg too.

I have not had any egg bound chickens yet so I can’t help there.

Cut down milk crates or buckets seem to be popular choices for quick, easy, and cheap. The chicken will lay her egg with or without a box. Nesting boxes are there to encourage her to lay it in a place that is easy for you to collect them later. They like small dark places so they can feel hidden from potential predators.

Fake eggs also help encourage them to lay where you want because chickens like to lay in a community nest. They feel like if another chicken already laid in that place it must be a good place for her to lay her egg too.

I have not had any egg bound chickens yet so I can’t help there.
Thank you! This helps a lot.

I hope you never get any egg bound chickens btw

Milk crates make excellent boxes....I went out and purchased these nice looking boxes and they prefer to lay in a milk crate after I found they had dropped an egg in the corner so I put a milk crate there and now it's the box they squabble over.

Nest box war is a real thing!! LOL

Nesting boxes are there to encourage her to lay it in a place that is easy for you to collect them later.
^ this. Anything they can comfortably fit in that's convenient for you to retrieve eggs from will do.

My first nest box was a small doghouse with a removable roof. I made a bank of 3 boxes for the new coop after that.

after4.jpg
coop2.jpg

coop3.jpg

Adding fakes (I use golf balls) shows them it's safe to lay there. As far as nesting material almost anything will do, I usually use some sort of wood shaving or hemp. Personally I find the padding under it to be far more important than nest material. I put some bubble wrap inside old feed bags and fold them to fit the bottom of the nests (you can see it in center of photo above) for padding to prevent breakage and make for easier clean up.

I've not had an egg binding incident, I don't see the need to worry about something unless it happens.

Last edited:
how old are you chicks? One of my girls laid her first egg today (olive egger). She just turned 18 weeks yesterday. Here is what I noticed; last two weeks her comb and wattles turned pretty red and seemed more developed. When I went to pet her, she would squat all the way down and lift her tail feathers, and spread her wings a little, but would try to crawl away. She also started making a shriek/squawking sound. My hubby just built the nesting boxes last weekend (talk about cutting it close). I order nesting pads off Amazon. I was actually surprised she used it, she checked it out when it was built, but didn't pay any attention once they were done. Here hatch mate still as little wattles and pink comb. I have heard people use cardboard boxes with pine shavings, milk crates and buckets. She is my first to lay an egg, I can't help with egg bound. I will up her calcium, but I cannot change to layer feed, I have 4, 13 week old chicks that cannot have layer feed yet. I hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom