Getting started with silkies

bgill1215

Chirping
Mar 23, 2020
I'm not new to silkies. But new to the show world. And breeding to the standard. I'm assuming I would want to keep the colors seperated for breeding, correct? I purchased eggs from a show breeder (Copperfield silkies on Facebook) she also had her colors seperated. So if I do this then won't I be breeding siblings?? I have eggs from another breeder coming I. June. But those are blue Splash. That breeder said Colors Include: Blue Splash, dark blue and light blue.

I'm assuming I would want to keep the colors seperated for breeding, correct?

Yep, unless you have colors that are in the same 'family' that can be bred together. For example, blue, black, and splash can be bred together because of how the blue dilution gene works.

If you get paint silkies, then with paint you can breed paints, blacks, and whites together. All those colors will result from breeding two paints together anyway.

So, if you have colors that are 'related', they can be bred together.

But those are blue Splash. That breeder said Colors Include: Blue Splash, dark blue and light blue.

Not really sure what this breeder is talking about here. Blue and Splash are two separate colors. 'Blue Splash' as one color isn't a thing. Assuming the breeder meant she's breeding Splash, then Splash birds bred to Splash birds produce only Splash.

Assuming that perhaps she means she's breeding Blue and Splash together, then you could get Splash and Blue. Blue can come in different shades. You can hatch some that are lighter and some that are darker.

0bac2861c3c900aa851e600116b9b806.jpg

Yep, unless you have colors that are in the same 'family' that can be bred together. For example, blue, black, and splash can be bred together because of how the blue dilution gene works.

If you get paint silkies, then with paint you can breed paints, blacks, and whites together. All those colors will result from breeding two paints together anyway.

So, if you have colors that are 'related', they can be bred together.

Not really sure what this breeder is talking about here. Blue and Splash are two separate colors. 'Blue Splash' as one color isn't a thing. Assuming the breeder meant she's breeding Splash, then Splash birds bred to Splash birds produce only Splash.

Assuming that perhaps she means she's breeding Blue and Splash together, then you could get Splash and Blue. Blue can come in different shades. You can hatch some that are lighter and some that are darker.

Thank you so much you've been a help!! If there a chart for color families? So I can figure out which colors can go together? Also what about my breeding siblings? Or I guess this wouldn't be an issue if I kept Color families together? The colors breeder #1 has are: Partridge, splash, blue, white, black, cuckoo, blue cream, red, buff, redpyle, gray, black. I know s few of those aren't recognized cookies and can't be shown. But from those colors which ones could I house together?

Here are the pictures of that breeders silkies.

s-l400 (2).jpg
s-l400 (1).jpg
s-l400.jpg

Those appear to all be splash, aside from a couple in the back that look dark blue, or possibly black.

So my question is. What colors would I possibly get from these guys? Blue and splash? What about a blue bred when black? Or a black bred with splash?

http://kippenjungle.nl/Overzicht.htm#kipcalculator that colour calculator is fun to play around with if you want to look at all possible colour combinations, though it can't tell you about leakage. If you look at the chart Pyxis put up it is also a good pictorial view of the breedings you are asking about. Black x splash will give 100% blue offspring, blue x black will give 50% of both those and blue and splash will also give 50% of either parent colour.

Back
Top Bottom