Getting the flock out of here - a diary of a crazy chicken man

The coops are a different story. I need to weight till Monday to see what I need to build. The current plan is a row house with eight apartments. The first six will be elevated coops with egg boxes. The last two will be basically sheds with roosts for the turkeys and the peafowl. I have done the drawings to make sure we put a net on the top of the guinea fowl and peafowl apartments. Depending on the hatch rates, I may end up putting the peafowl and guineas in the same apartment.
OZ my understanding is that guineas are not as tough to manage if your are raised with chickens
the reason is they think they are part of the chicken flock
if raised alone they can give you a really hard time
& if they ever get out , they may choose to just roost in a tree.

so atleast while they are young you might want to put them in with a larger group of chickens

good luck & happy hatching
piggy

double post
rant.gif

Last edited:
As I was posting the plans I got my first update from Bernie

Pips on 2 Kevin;s Mystery Eggs, 1 Black Bresse, 3 BBS Orps, 2 Golden Sebright Banties and 2 from the RIR and Barred Rocks.

One Kevin's Mystery Eggs has hatched.
wee.gif
wee.gif
wee.gif

Kevin would not tell me what they were. When I picked up the peafowl, he gave me a bonus pack. Told me to figure out what they were when they hatched. I Guess I will have to do some figuring. The Bresse and Kevs eggs are local to SoCal so the shipped ones are holding their own.

Back
Top Bottom