Getting the flock out of here - a diary of a crazy chicken man

How exciting Oz!!! Working with oxen has to fun and rewarding! I am starting with our mule, in hopes that she will pull small logs on our ranch!!

Ocap I went to that website you posted.... Awesome even though It locked up my computer....
he.gif
Me needs a new computer baaaad.

As far as the logs is concerned.... When i started my mare in harness we pulled big pvc pipes for practice.... I tried hopping over them lannded on top fell on my behind and my girl ran off dragging thewhole thing through the Jumping arena and back to her corral. Of course she stopped there wanting in.... Not scared just done with ME. I watched her as we trained her the more weight in the object she was pulling the happier she was....

deb

Sally, I so need that curly chicken of yours in my life... but seriously, do your name across the front of the subject... otherwise some smart *** will just crop out the words.

Claudia

Thanks for the info Ocap, would love to have oxen. The closest we came was running several beef steer. Did that for a few years, but keeping them on our side of the fences always presented problems. Mules, at least ours, never chose to test the fences, even the drop offs or wooded areas that have no fences. Only if someone left the gate open, do they roam. The mule that is doing the work is a draft, not so big, just under 16 hands, with a sensible mind. We have been dragging for a year and now just moving into pulling. Thanks for sharing your story Deb.

Thanks for the info Ocap, would love to have oxen. The closest we came was running several beef steer. Did that for a few years, but keeping them on our side of the fences always presented problems. Mules, at least ours, never chose to test the fences, even the drop offs or wooded areas that have no fences. Only if someone left the gate open, do they roam. The mule that is doing the work is a draft, not so big, just under 16 hands, with a sensible mind. We have been dragging for a year and now just moving into pulling. Thanks for sharing your story Deb.
LOL.... I love my girl.... and I think I have made every mistake in the book with her. I will always own up to it. She is a big goofball.

deb

My daughter's riding instructor's partner has a pair of oxen. They are adorable! He hasn't had any issues with them roaming, though...probably because he uses an electric fence.

They're some kind of heritage breed of oxen...he was explaining it to me and I had no clue what he was talking about, lol. Something about them being related to the first oxen that came over during the colonial times. Something like that.

Sally, I so need that curly chicken of yours in my life... but seriously, do your name across the front of the subject... otherwise some smart *** will just crop out the words.

Claudia
OMG too funny....

Look what I just hatched! I am so amazed and she wont be sold, she will stay here! I AM IN LOVE WITH These chicks!

Its an Americana X CCL !!!! and to think we were eating all those eggs! DOH!!!

on another note, too much heavy snow not good on my netting!! arggggggggg girls will need cooped up for a while!

Back
Top Bottom