Getting the flock out of here - a diary of a crazy chicken man

I'm with you... I refuse to use antibiotics and such.. but, I eat my birds and eggs.

Oz is a breeder, and his stock is valuable in breeding... That sort of changes things, in my eyes. If I had valuable birds that I had no intention of eating, I would probably be less hesitant to throw medication at them.

My flock is currently dealing with respiratory illness... not sure what it is, or was, as they are starting to get over it.. guessing MG/CRD.. I just CAN'T justify tossing antibiotics at something that they will remain carriers of anyway. It just defeats MY purpose of having chickens: healthier eggs and meat without all the added stuff. I don't breed though. I don't sell birds. Flock is pretty well closed, save for the lone accidental rooster I rehomed last year. I purchase chicks in spring.. but they don't leave.

I totally get what you are coming from though, I feel like people stare at me like I have three eyes, when I refuse to just toss some Tylan at whatever cough they have.
roll.png
Antibiotic use is WAY out of hand in the average backyard flock. I do believe in a venture as big as Oz' he has little choice.. can't afford to have disease spread when you have so many little ones. That, and he seems to target disease, rather than broad spectrum the heck out of things
lol.png
I am a breeder too. Though I don't have anywhere near as many birds as Oz has.

@Lacy Blues of course you did not offend me.

In a perfect world, I would love to not give anribiotics, I was just thinking recently how great it was that I had not administered any antibiotics to my chickens in more than 4 months.

I am not sure how many birds you have. We dont have access to yoghurt. South East Asia has very few dairy resources and I am developing my own but I am a good three years from being able to "put the kitchen gal to work making yoghurt"

I currently have around three hundred that are under six weeks of age, To prevent Coccidiasis I retain about 5-10% of the rice husks in the brooder from the previous birds, They have done very well building their own resistance to the organism and I have, in the whole time I have been doing this, never had to treat for the disease. I lose about 3 percent of my chicks from hatch to around a month of age.

The outbreak is in a virgin brooder. I ran out of space after a very successful shipped egg hatch. It is only about 20 birds but contains the first turkey poults that I have ever been able to hatch. They are very important to me. Hopefully I can get this worked out in a few days.

Vaccinations will always be a key strategy.

Hopefully in a couple of gererations of locally bred birds, they develop a little strength in fighting local bugs
The organic, unprocessed apple cider vinegar can help as a preventive also. I don't have any idea whether that is available there or if you can import it. It can be used to inoculate processed apple cider vinegar so you don't have to keep buying small expensive bottles. It just takes some time. There is information on BYC about doing all of that so if its something you're interested in doing, you can just search for the info.

I am a breeder too. Though I don't have anywhere near as many birds as Oz has.

The organic, unprocessed apple cider vinegar can help as a preventive also. I don't have any idea whether that is available there or if you can import it. It can be used to inoculate processed apple cider vinegar so you don't have to keep buying small expensive bottles. It just takes some time. There is information on BYC about doing all of that so if its something you're interested in doing, you can just search for the info.
we have a home made vinegar made from coconut tree sap. when first harvested it becomes a heady fermented alcohol.

its very yeasty and ferments into a cloudy white vinegar. it also ferments feed

its as organic a vinegar with "a mother" as you can get

more pics

There are always plenty of Plumeria/Fangipani blooming. We have cuttings from Fiji, Hawaii, Indonesia and Thailand as well as every color Mrs Oz has spotted in the Philippines

Our first ever tomatoes are doung well. There are over 100 fruits so far

Young Guavas

An Asian Spinach

Sugar Apple/Atis/Cherimoya

Persian Mulberry

pigs 7-9

pigs 4-6

pig 20 - the boar before his evening shower

even our pretty pink pigs 1-3 get a bit poopy before their bath. The need bigger digs. Hopefully next week

Coconut branches. Dominic sells these for firewood

Another day closes

Its been quite an eventful three days at CocoBeach.

Mrs Oz has a Birthday friday. Happy Birthday my sweet bride!

we have a home made vinegar made from coconut tree sap. when first harvested it becomes a heady fermented alcohol.

its very yeasty and ferments into a cloudy white vinegar. it also ferments feed

its as organic a vinegar with "a mother" as you can get

ACV with mother is what we use to get a batch of fermented feed "started"
we had to suspend fermenting last Dec.
the feed was freezing as soon as we put it in the stainless steel feed pans
i was lucky to score a couple of 12" x 24" food service grade pans with 3" sides for nothing
they clean out so EZ with a hose if they get poopy
i wouldn't want to have to buy any that size, i'm sure they are not cheep

Last edited:
ACV with mother is what we use to get a batch of fermented feed "started"
we had to suspend fermenting last Dec.
the feed was freezing as soon as we put it in the stainless steel feed pans
i was lucky to score a couple of 12" x 24" food service grade pans with 3" sides for nothing
they clean out so EZ with a hose if they get poopy
i wouldn't want to have to buy any that size, i'm sure they are not cheep
you have a filipina in your house and no chafing dishes?
lau.gif

that poor girl

Back
Top Bottom