GFQ Sportsman 1202 Incubator - Not Rotating?

Myavia

Chirping
May 25, 2020
Hi!
I just bought an old used sportsman cabinet incubator the other day. I believe it is the 1202.
It has held temperature perfectly, but the racks have not been rotating. The seller told me they had been rotating before I picked the incubator up. I am fine with getting parts, just I don’t know exactly what’s wrong.

The turners work neither in manual mode nor automatic. When I flip the switch to automatic the red light does come on, but nothing moves. I opened up the back of the incubator today and noticed that when I switch it to automatic turning mode the incubator hums (ONLY in automatic).
Im not sure if I’m supposed to be able to, but the turning piece (which is rusty) doesn’t even move if I try to force it.
What do you think is the matter?
Thank you!
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Here are photos of the incubator, as I could be wrong about the make/model.

Also, there was this fluff right near the turning unit? I had to pull it out. The incubator hadn’t been used in a year or two I believe, until they tested it out before selling it to me.

Here is a wiring diagram:
Capture.PNG

If it were me, I would hook 120v directly to the drive motor to see if it turns. If it does not, the motor is no good. This isn't something someone should do that knows nothing about electricity.

open up the rotator gear and motor assembly by removing the sheet metal screws. Check carefully that nothing is rusted up. If it is, use some WD40 to loosen it. I'm not sure if yours is the same as mine, but the rotator motor can be tested by pulling the motor off of the mount and checking that it is turning when you flip the switch.

Several businesses sell compatible motors. Do some due diligence and you can get one a lot cheaper than from the incubator maker.

I highly recommend purchasing a new fan motor and keeping it on hand. Aging 1202's often have worn out bearings and go bad in the middle of a hatch. Mine went out a couple of years ago. I was fortunate to be warming the incubator up and had not put eggs in yet. Grainger should have most of what you may need.

Last edited:
Hi!
I just bought an old used sportsman cabinet incubator the other day. I believe it is the 1202.
It has held temperature perfectly, but the racks have not been rotating. The seller told me they had been rotating before I picked the incubator up. I am fine with getting parts, just I don’t know exactly what’s wrong.

The turners work neither in manual mode nor automatic. When I flip the switch to automatic the red light does come on, but nothing moves. I opened up the back of the incubator today and noticed that when I switch it to automatic turning mode the incubator hums (ONLY in automatic).
Im not sure if I’m supposed to be able to, but the turning piece (which is rusty) doesn’t even move if I try to force it.
What do you think is the matter?
Thank you!View attachment 2504521View attachment 2504522View attachment 2504523
did you ever get this figured out? I just bought an older one as well and looking at your pictures and mine it looks like you are missing a couple of the turning arms.

Back
Top Bottom