Giant Blue Cochin Roo x ... Anything else?

Stampin.Hannah

In the Brooder
Apr 14, 2018
Blaine, WA
I've looked quite a bit, and wasn't able to find anything that really matches our circumstances (a lot of other posts are inquiring about cochin hens with other roos)... ANY help/insight/pictures that you guys can provide would be GREATLY appreciated!
We have a Giant Blue Cochin rooster, he's beautiful and he really gets around the coop (with 19 hens to keep him occupied, he doesn't beat up on any one bird too much, which is nice, but it's not to say he doesn't have his favorites!) - We recently did our first-ever hatch, and we have NO idea who any of the mother hens are! We have an extremely varied flock, and we're wondering if anyone has any pictures of known Blue Cochin Rooster crosses?
Our flock consists of Blue-, Silver-, and Gold-laced Wyandottes, Easter Eggers, Ameraucanas, Barnevelders, Buff Orpingtons, Speckled Sussex, Naked-Neck/Turken, a Red (Star or Rhode Island, we don't know which), a white hen (not sure her breed) and a dark brown hen with (maybe) double-laced feathers (not sure her breed, either).
All five of the chicks that hatched have feathered legs (we knew that was a dominant trait, but that's about the only thing we knew ahead of time), and range in color from silvery-white to black. One black guy/gal has white all down her chin/belly/rump. Two of the mid-range gray chicks have similar coloring, but one has orange legs/feet and the other has black/blue legs.
Like I said, any known crosses with the Giant Blue Cochin as the rooster would be helpful - I've spent the last couple weeks researching chicken genetics, but it's a LOT more complicated than I remember from high school biology, and unfortunately the majority of the information out there is over my head. Womp womp!
I've attached pictures:
The rooster standing next to one of our Barnevelders, and our Blue Laced Wyandotte.
The little gray fuzzballs that hatched (multiple pictures, because, SO CUTE).
IMG_20180331_164501878_BURST005.jpg
IMG_20180411_180802560.jpg
IMG_20180414_105845371_HDR.jpg
IMG_20180414_112344812_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg

Beautiful roo! Is he mean? I really would like a rooster and don’t want a mean one:lol: And super cute chickies!
No, he's not mean, he just has a very healthy libido! LOL He's great with people, and he's not mean to the hens, but when he's cooped up with the same small group of hens their combs can get a little rough from all the action.

I should add, we do know that the one little black chick with the white belly came from a blue egg - so one of the five Easter Eggers or Ameraucanas, but we don't know which of those five it might have been from. Also, that same chick has been feathering out much more quickly than the others.

His Extended Black gene is the most dominant of all pattern genes, so expect solid black or blue offspring, no matter which hen he's paired with. The Blue Laced Wyandottes are the only ones that could potentially produce Splash. The rose comb of the Wyandottes and the pea comb of the Easter Eggers are both dominant over the single comb. The naked neck gene is dominant. And the white skin of the Orpingtons and Sussex are dominant over the Cochin's yellow skin.

Back
Top Bottom